Making way for Bud

Sketching in my car has its advantages. I know where everything is, my steering wheel acts as my easel, the wind doesn’t knock over any of my gear and I get to pick the music. But there are also disadvantages. Like trying to find a parking spot with a good view. I really thought I had the perfect spot picked out to sketch this little scene of back balconies in Ste. Anne de Bellevue, until a big Budweiser truck pulled up and parked next to me, forcing me to move so he could do his dépanneur delivery and blocking half the view of what I had already drawn. So some of this is from observation and a little bit is from memory.

By the way, there’s a very nice profile of this blog in today’s Montreal Gazette and I want to thank Susan Semenak for her kind words. Here’s the link.

Making way for Bud

About these ads

26 Comments on “Making way for Bud”

1. How delightful! I also enjoyed the article in the Gazette. You have come so far in a very short period of time. Talk about a passion taking on momentum! I find this inspirational to say the least. I am starting a web design co-op and hopefully I will be able to achieve a similar momentum.

• Thanks May. You were the first to follow! You’ll have to tell me more about the web design co-op but perhaps in a less public forum. It sounds like a great idea.

2. Jane Hannah says:

This is a beautiful urban sketch Shari :: i recognize the Ste. Anne’s atmosphere in this painting.

3. Valerie says:

Great story in the Gazette. You’ll have many more followers now, I’m sure.

4. d.parnell says:

Oh I might as well add my kudos
    Or is it oh well….
    Love the hands on.
    Can’t do without it myself.
    Madman.

5. Bryan says:

Hi, Just found you through the Gazette article…love your sketches! I subscribed through my RSS reader, so I’ll be able to see your daily work.

6. Rhoda says:

Love this sketch.
    Read about you in Susan Semenak’s column today.
    Plan to be back.
    Rhoda

7. Niki says:

Hi Shari!
    Kalynne forwarded on the link to the Gazette article and I’ve found my way here. I just wanted to congratulate you on your blog and it’s success. Your paintings are gorgeous and I hope many more great opportunities come your way.

Wishing you all the best,
    Niki Cholet
    Oh, I meant to tell you that seeing the snippets of Montreal and the West Island (as well as NYC) again has been great. Singapore’s great but I miss the views from home.

• Hi Niki. It’s great to hear from you and so glad you like the blog. I’d love to hear more about life in Singapore. Hope you’re getting a chance to do some design work.

• ncholet says:

Hi Shari. Oddly enough, I just started to do some work for the PTA of the boys’ new school. They’ve been looking for someone to help with the set up and printing of their yearly calendars. Volunteering to help turned into taking over so, I’ve been desperately trying to remember everything I learned in your class about InDesign. Fortunately, thanks to your excellent teaching, most of it is coming back to me.

• That’s great Niki. InDesign is like riding a bike — it all comes back.

8. Nicole says:

Hi Shari,
    I also found you through the Gazette, and i must tell you your work has really touched my heart.
    I went back through all your sketches and was really amazed by your talent.

9. Mona Aubin says:

Wow, Shari! Teetering between feelings of ‘if anybody could do it, Shari could’ (ergo, your talent and subsequent success not so surprising) and pure joy and admiration for the unique and emotional expression of your art. What a long way from our early days in Old Montreal! Your sketches are truly beautiful, and this Gazette exposure, well-deserved! May it open the door to your next HUGE adventure! From your long-time fan, Mona xx

• Hi Mona,
      It’s so great to hear from you. I read your message to my nieces and they wondered if you were a writer because what you wrote was so beautiful. Thank you so much for this note!

10. jeffreytolhurst says:

Very nice Shari! I was trying to think of where this was as it looked soo familiar and remembered! Some of my friends have lived in this apartment building and decided to move because of the construction.

11. Gina Bisaillon says:

Congratulations on the Gazette article! You sure deserve it.

12. sketchysteven says:

Yay! You’re a rock star now! Congrats on the feature! :)