At the top

I was on a school field trip to Mont Tremblant with some French exchange students today. We took the gondola to the top of the mountain to have lunch and three things happened.

1. I met Japanese tourists — many of them — who come to Canada to see the autumn colours (and they were quite outstanding today!).

2. I saw some folks with easels and paints getting off the gondola, one of whom looked surprisingly similar to my painting friend Helmut Langeder. When I went looking for them after lunch it turned out it was Helmut. How often does that happen? You meet someone you know at the top of a mountain.

3. I realized I don’t know how to draw panoramas and I should have taken the panorama workshop with Simo Capecchi in Santo Domingo!

At The Top

About these ads

17 Comments on “At the top”

1. Valerie Cousins says:

I imagine learning to draw panoramas has something to do with the curve of the horizon line.
    I would love to learn more about that too. I love panoramic views.
    What a great day you had!

2. Jane says:

Hah Shari,

You are so cute ;-) I should have written your last sentence on markets — as I feel the same –

3. captelaine says:

Well I think your panorama view is fabulous… so eye catching. If you’re doing a market workshop I sure hope it is an online class because I’d love to attend too.

4. Alison says:

I know this exact view and find you have captured it beautifully!

5. Ruth macCandlish says:

Hi Shari,

I thought your view from the top of Tremblant was great and it tugged at my heart strings.
    We spent many years in our waterfront home on Lac Tremblant. It was there that my artist
    friends (many from our local college in Ste. Anne de Bellevue) gathered for a few days
    each summer to paint, eat, sip wine, swm and generally have a great time together.
    Over the years we improved our technique while gently offering a critique or two at the
    end of each day. This event became such a yearly ritual and one that we all cherished.

Because I know the area so well, II wanted to share my own experience and artistic
    endeavors at Mont Tremblant……….such a special place!

Ruth

6. Mary says:

Maybe so – but I recognize Mont Tremblant. I have been trying very light washes mixed with areas of heavy opacity. I am not sure if that breaks the rules. I am painting the trees and the woodshed outside my kitchen window

7. Mary says:

So glad to hear there are no rules Shari…that’s really liberating for creativity :)