Cornfield

Cornfields figure prominently in the movie “Looper” that I watched last night (and I promise that there are no spoilers in this post). People are always hiding in the cornfield (or it may be cane!), emerging from the cornfield, or travelling through time and reappearing at the edge of the cornfield. That is probably why I woke up this morning with a hankering to paint a cornfield. Fortunately there is a cornfield not too far from where I live so I didn’t have to do any time travel to get there.

Cornfield

About these ads

16 Comments on “Cornfield”

1. Don McNulty says:

Hi Shari, I visit your drawings almost every day, love it, I often think of Portland. It was great to meet up with Wayne Bisskey, thanks to Portland. It all keeps me young, thanks for posting!

2. Ross C says:

This scene looks much too peaceful to be inspired by “Looper”.
    The colours and tones fit together so well here. I assume that you chose quite a limited palette for this?

• Well it was only the cornfield that inspired me, not the violence or the plot.
      The palette was a limited one. Mostly ultramarine, cad. orange, ochre and raw sienna. No red at all…

• Ross C says:

I haven’t seen the movie but I understand your “no red” comment after watching the trailer.
        So, don’t you use any greys or similar to tone down and mute the colours for a painting like this?

• No, I mix all my greys. The sky is a mix of ultramarine blue and cadmium orange. I love the grey that this makes. I think you can even see a faint bit of orange in the sky.
        Usually I use ultramarine and burnt sienna but this is my new favourite. I have some Payne’s Grey in my palette but I never use it to make grey. I just mix varying intensities of colour to get the neutrals I want.

• Ross C says:

But why??? Wouldn’t it be easier to start with a grey and add fragments of colour if you don’t want the area to be too neutral?

• I have never tried that. I will do a test and let you know how it turns out. Maybe tomorrow’s post will be about mixing greys.

3. Mary says:

i love the loose shapes in your foreground tree Shari and am happy to know about your discovery with mixing ultramarine blue and cad orange creating such a soft grey.
    It would be a great lesson in mixing greys with complements Shari and also incorporating your payne’s grey…you shouldn’t have any trouble with greys if this rain continues tomorrow.
    ps. Aren’t we lucky to have a farm next door in the middle of an urban area and 20 min. from Montreal!
    pps. Ross, there were no greys on that beautiful fall day on Mont Tremblant with the Tom Thomson tree but Shari might have used her Payne’s grey on the tree?
    Ross, i left you a belated note on that site relating to Uluru.

• Ross C says:

Hi Mary, sorry, I had missed your note… and I am a bit nervous about replying… wondering if Mrs B will come down heavy on us, like students talking behind her back in her classroom. :)
      I have been to Canada twice, but I have to admit sadly that I have never been to Uluru. And you are right… living in sub-tropical Australia, I never get to see the colours of autumn. Our landscape looks pretty much the same all year. So I have really enjoyed watching the yearly cycle on Shari’s blog.

• Mary says:

Yes, Ross, must not whisper in class or we’ll be kicked out!
        Now you can see in Shari’s site on skies the big difference between using mainly Payne’s Grey and mixing complements to make lively greys :)
        Hope you saw eastern Canada in our beautiful Autumn!

• Ross C says:

The teacher is either ignoring us or can’t hear us… same end result.
        Unfortunately, my visits have been too early in autumn to see the colours. So both Uluru and Canada in full autumn are on my list of places to go.

4. I love your spontaneous style.

5. drawandshoot says:

Super beautiful, Shari!
    I love the way use use such delicate lines in your work.