Senior crossing

Since I began my blog last year, the seasons and the weather have become so important. When I wake up in the morning I look at the forecast on my phone to see if I can get out to sketch. And then I look at the thermometer to see if I can sit outside. And these past few days I have been looking at the trees to see if there are still leaves to paint because when these fall in the next few weeks the world will be gray for so many months.

Autumn Street

About these ads

17 Comments on “Senior crossing”

1. rene fijten says:

Great drawing, such a beautiful colours. Here the leaves are still on the trees (lack of wind, very unusual) but they are browning.

2. Elke Attal says:

Just want you to know that not a day goes by without me looking at your newest blog. Not only do I enjoy your sketches but also your comments that go with it. You always brighten my day and that of many others I am sure. Keep it up!

3. Don McNulty says:

We know way too much about grey here on the west coast, but, a little grey area makes the colour pop. See, I have been paying attention.

4. Ross C says:

I say “bring on the fallen leaves”… all this foliage is far too easy for you. All you have to do is a wash of pretty colour and suggest a couple of branches and it’s done… how easy is that! You need the challenge of some complicated bare branch patterns again. : )
    And wasn’t it fun to do some complicated power poles… that’s what happens when you are back to sitting in the road to paint.

• It is too easy Ross. You are right about that but I did enjoy doing the power poles. I am not enjoying sitting in the car again though. Having spent the summer in the middle of the action I feel that I am back in my car bubble and it is much less interesting. I would rather be in the market in Santo Domingo or a train station in Paris.

• Ross C says:

You need to start doing workshops in the southern hemisphere… or perhaps concentrate on the action inside buildings during winter… there must be plenty of that in Montreal… maybe, more drawing in Chapters, etc.

• Yes, you’re right. Marc and I are thinking about a workshop in March, somewhere warm, with lots of light and colour. In the meantime, I think I will be sitting in more cafés, like I did today.

5. I know exactly what you mean, Shari! You guys seem to have just about the same kind of autumn as we have in Sweden. But I am going to embrace the grey this winter. Or as my colleague often says – think about it with love. : )

• I like that idea Nina. I am going to try to have a good attitude. And I am glad you can relate!

• Mary says:

I don’t mind the greys but I live in the mountains and so how the sun shines on the tops is a never-ending light show as the hours pass. In the fall we have a lot of soft autumn mists that partially hide the woods. I think of Camelot.

• You are so lucky Mary. It sounds like every day is a painting day for you. You don’t have to drive endlessly around the suburbs looking for something to draw like I do.

6. Yay! For the first time ever I succeeded in leaving a comment here! Now I know how it works. :)