The other side of the sheet

I had a bad start with yesterday’s apples and messed up a sheet of 300 lb paper before starting again. This paper is too valuable to discard, so today I painted on the other side of the sheet. I wish I hadn’t centered the vase quite as much but by the time I noticed it, it was too late to modify the drawing. Size: 11″ x 15″

Freesias_Full

About these ads

14 Comments on “The other side of the sheet”

1. Elaine Archambault says:

Love alstroemerias, beautiful watercolor of them, thanks

2. Terry Lindsay says:

SIGH!!!! Everyone of your paintings brings a sigh..followed by a – if only.If only once I could get a beautiful painting like this…..of all the blogs out there,you are the very best Shari ! And you even admit to having screwed up a few like the first apples.They by the way are excellent-hard to imagine they are watercolour..so bright and perfect.I guess you can tell I’m a fan.From a video I thought I seen you use Daniel Smith paints…do you think the brand matters much?Thanks for being so dedicated !! Best wishes for a Happy New Year ! Terry

• Thanks Terry. I really appreciate the comments about the work.
      I use many brands of paint, mostly Winsor Newton but also Holbein and Daniel Smith. I don’t really have a preference as long as they are artist quality and fresh paint from tubes. Some of the pigments are so expensive so I watch for sales at the online sources and stock up then.

3. Mrs. P says:

I always marvel at your mess ups and admire your ability to see make present the image you intended to create…even if you have to do a re-do of it.

Didn’t some of the great artists of the world use the other side as well? It seems to make the picture a bit more interesting when you turn it over and something else was started on the other side.

4. Katrin Loose says:

I love your flowers!! No worries about centering the vase so much! You drifted the attention to the upper right with the blossom there. It’s interesting!!

5. Ross C says:

Oops, I have let my commenting slip for a while… here’s some catch-up.
    Looking back, you don’t do many of what I would call a “typical” still-life… the almost clichéd vase of flowers or bowl of fruit. But seeing this one and the previous day’s apples, I have to wonder why… are they just too easy for you? : )
    I love this one… forget the nonsense about the vase being too central… this composition works beautifully… particularly the way the subject breaks the picture plane on all four sides. That really does stop it looking like “just another vases of flowers”. I like the way the blooms sit against the dark foliage… and as usual, your colours are just right. If I was going to be really picky, the only bit that I would question is where the stalks enter the water… it looks like there should be something else happening there… or am I misreading it?
    I think that both this and the apples are worthy of larger paintings.

• Yes Ross, I notice that you are dropping on my stats page. Other commenters are soon going to surpass you!

This and the apples are both larger paintings. Perhaps you haven’t done the inches to cm. conversion. This one is 25 x 35 cm which is a small painting but certainly larger than a sketch. The apples are 26 x 17cm.
      Easy??? Nothing is easy. It is all work, focus, concentration, planning… : )

Maybe there is something missing where the stalks meet the water. No sure. When I was painting this I had the flowers to my left instead of in front of me so that I wouldn’t get too caught up in the details. I wanted to keep it fresh so I tried not to look at it too much.

• Ross C says:

Bring on the competition… I am up to a challenge.
        And, no, I meant much bigger… like twice that size.
        And, that is an interesting technique… putting the subject to the side so that you don’t get absorbed with the details… I will have to try that.