Phalaenopsis

Rose madder. Winsor violet. Permanent magenta. Not the colours that I usually use but how else can you paint orchids? Phalaenopsis

About these ads

30 Comments on “Phalaenopsis”

1. Mary says:

Whew, you made it in on time Shari, and was beginning to worry with all this snow!!!
    I love your orchids, especially in wines, and this will be in bloom for a looooong time
    so your # series will be fun to watch. I have another idea….how about the weekly growth of
    an Amaryllis :) Could you put me on your list for a local flower workshop?

2. Sue says:

These colors are absolutely beautiful!!!! Well done Shari!!!!!

3. Ross C says:

Hmmm… pure white background… that’s a change for you. Looks very sharp with these colours. Love the little graded washes in the petals and the traces of pencil work.

THIS . . . is breathtaking! The colors are so un-winter.

5. Alberta smith says:

Absolutely beautiful to see first thing on this bleak snowy morning — I wish it were hanging on my wall.

Alberta

6. Mrs. P says:

I think Mary’s amaryllis idea is a wonderful thought!

When my daughter was six her teacher had them draw a picture of the class plant with a ruler included in the drawing, then write a single sentence describing its growth. I thought it was a rather challenging assignment for a six year old. As it turns out, my daughter had no problem sketching the flower and it became a great little booklet. I think I still have it somewhere.

As for me, I have a great talent in enjoying the beautiful sketches of others. :)

• Love the story of your daughter Mrs. P. You should dig it out!

• Mrs. P says:

Alright, I admit it…I’m not as organized as I’d like to believe I am. After doing a moderate search, I have not been able to find it. I have too many different places to keep those precious memories..but the search took me on a nice trip down memory lane. :)

7. Monique says:

Even the little clips:)
    I am not wonderful at having these rebloom:(

8. Jane Hannah says:

Indeed, these colours are wonderful today! Made me think of Valentine’s Day… now I am wondering what you will pick for that day Shari ;-) Beautiful painting!

9. Beste says:

It is really beautiful… pop of color in this white dominated days.

Greetings from Halifax :)

10. Delft says:

Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

11. Ross C says:

Thank you so much Shari!!! (from one of those people “who take the time to write thoughtful and intelligent comments”) : )

• You’re welcome Ross. I am trying to think how I should have responded to your comment. For once it had not question in it.

Let’s see:
      Yes, it is on a white background. That is unusual for me.
      Yes, the gradations in the petals worked out. I am trying some new brushes that hold a lot of water.

Is this better?? : )

• Ross C says:

Oh dear, I think you misinterpreted my comment… it wasn’t a complaint about your super-brief two word response… it was just my grab to claim your compliment, particularly when some of my comments may not necessarily fall into your “thoughtful and intelligent” category. But I guess your guilty conscience stopped you from understanding all that. : )

• Yes, I did misinterpret your comment. But all is clear now… Merci!

12. Vanille says:

So vibrant ! My orchid at home has just started to bloom. What a beautiful plant.