Chocolatier Marlain

Maybe I was thinking of Valentine’s Day when I headed towards this little chocolate shop in Pointe Claire village, although now that I look at the final painting I think it might have been Hallowe’en instead. I painted this same building last year when there was just a sprinkling of snow on the ground. It was hard to find contrast in the overcast light today: white house, light sky, snow on the ground and no shadows, so when I added the tree I think it gave it a little drama.

Painted from my car on Fabriano Artistico cold pressed paper, 140 lb, 9″ x 12″.

ChocolatierMarlain

About these ads

17 Comments on “Chocolatier Marlain”

1. Sue says:

I really like this one! Good jOb!

2. Linda Daily says:

I remember this charming place from your last sketch of it.
    You did a lovely job once again. Is it hard to do a 9X12 painting in the car?

3. Mary says:

Such a charming painting of the Chocolatier Shari, and yes, the tree branch gives it
    that punch of contrast. I always loved those crooked little houses adding character to the Pointe Claire village, but sadly so many have been taken down (or fallen over) over the years!
    Lovely greys and you sure captured the spirit of this rainy day.

4. Shari — I am so impressed by your style! This day is no exception. I hope to share a workshop experience with you one day. Thanks for being so diligent and sketching daily—really beautiful work. Huge fan; Jeanne

• Thanks so much Jeanne! Watch my posts for workshops. I will be announcing the ones for this summer soon. I had a look at your sketches too and loved the recent industrial one with the stacks.

5. adem meywa says:

This is my new favourite! :) marvelous!

6. Alison says:

Absolutely yummy. Soft and delicious as a mocha truffle.

7. Linda Daily says:

Shari,
    I have tried Fabriano by the sheet and really like it.
    I may have to splurge on a block for painting in the car!
    You continue to inspire.