The thrill of it all

This was painted on my lunch hour in the same place where I have sketched students before. Lately I have been trying to draw more people and I probably could ask one of my students to pose for me and they would gladly sit for a while. But I just realized that there is a certain thrill in drawing someone who doesn’t know that you are drawing them because they could walk away at any time. You have to put down the essential lines really quickly — observe the direction of the light, the position of the legs, the tilt of the head — in case they disappear. The same goes for the paint. The colour is almost inconsequential but if you can get the values right in one pass then your sketch has a chance of retaining some of its freshness. This is what I am working towards.

Fur Collar

About these ads

18 Comments on “The thrill of it all”

1. Allie Ward says:

I have been wondering how you sketch someone before they get away from you. In this short post you gave me some really good tips.Drawing people is not my favorite thing to do because I’m not good at it. Thanks for the tips!

2. Jen Appel says:

Love the cast of sunlight, I can almost feel the heat from the sun.

3. captelaine says:

This is really compelling… I found myself looking and looking at all the detail you managed… and yet it looks fresh, spontaneous… tells the story without seeming to even try.. boy I wish I could do that.

4. Monique says:

It’s just right:-)
    We sure needed a coat like that today..long live hoods:-)

Well done! Don’t know if you saw her, but my guess is that she is cute, CUTE! You caught her in a real attitude pose. I hope you showed it to her.

6. I love so much the sense of light. (So you’re not good????? :D)

7. Alison says:

Feels so fresh and spontaneous and yet there is so much rich detail. I love the tinged of blue in the shadows. I still haven’t got the hang of that (mix of colour in the brush). Practice, practice, practice. Right?!

8. Raynald Murphy says:

Wonderful rendition. You are right, drawing from a posed figure and one unaware are two different situations. The expression will be different and often more interesting than in the posed figure. I sometimes draw artists drawing the model – the life drawing model – rather than the model when he/she does not inspire me. People intent at a task do not appear as when they pose.

9. Mrs. P says:

I love it…you practice is paying off and you are getting better at drawing people. I don’t know if it feels easier but the presentation is very nice.