Look up

For some reason I was thinking about scale today when I went out. There is a huge maple I have been wanting to draw. It towers over everything in the neighbourhood but it’s situated on a main thoroughfare with no parking nearby. In lieu of that I found this tall spruce. I have probably passed it many times but never really looked up to take in its height and shape.  I have even sat on the terrace of the restaurant housed in that yellow building, under that wooden pergola, without noticing it.

BigPine

About these ads

14 Comments on “Look up”

1. Chris Rusk says:

Shari

It is fabulous!

Chris

p.s. Family things keep popping up at last minute – one day, I will get out to sketch with all of you/CR

2. Julia Bolchakova says:

I absolutely love it! Look at that proportions!

Very nice. Sometimes we have to get far away in order to see what is up close. I love this tree and if I lived in Montreal, I would say hello to it every day and try to make friends.

4. John Hume says:

Looking at your paintings I have learned much about the construction of watercolors.

• Thanks so much John. I am glad to share and really happy to hear this kind of feedback. I can’t make the posts educational every day but I try at least once a week to share something about technique.

5. Mary says:

Hi Shari, i think i recognize that very tall, stately coniferous beside the restaurant on the
    corner of Cartier and the Lakeshore Rd. Hard to believe i have two other paintings of that
    same tree in much smaller versions painted many years ago by another Pointe Claire watercolour artist ! It’s wonderful that you keep finding these treasures in nature which
    most people never take the time to notice or appreciate.

6. helmut langeder says:

Really like this one, Shari.