The first day of spring

Yesterday I had so much fun doing a negative painting with no pencil lines that I repeated the exercise today. Just turned the branches upside down. Painting the spaces between things requires patient observation and a good amount of wash on the brush. I started in the middle of the sheet and did a light wash of the parts of the fence that I could see between the branches. Then I added the dark bits of evergreen under the snow. By that time the fence was dry so I added the darker parts of the fence. The last step was the lacework of branches that tied it all together.

FirstdayofSpring

About these ads

20 Comments on “The first day of spring”

1. melankooli says:

so subtle, graceful. such close attention paid to create the elusive layers, great work

2. John Wright says:

This is a great watercolour excercise Shari. Alas, it may not make a very practical demonstration in Barcelona this summer.

3. monbaum says:

Wow! Just 3 weekends ago, I was taking the train through Bavaria to catch a flight from Munich to Israel and everything was covered in snow. I remember thinking to myself “How could you possibly paint that with watercolours, not painting all that snow but everything looking out from underneath it!?”.
    Your sketch is how! Beautiful.

4. rene fijten says:

Thanks for the description how you proceeded, quite enlightening, I can see now how you did it. Now it comes down to trying it myself – and probably finding out that things that look simple never are ;)

5. Sue says:

I love this picture! It feels so fresh, clean and vibrant!

6. This is lovely. I have a technical question, and it’s probably a really stupid one (bear with me :) ) – so to get the snow effects, you painted everything around the pieces of snow, but left the paper white where the snow is?

I appreciate that you do not rely on masking fluid. This is special. Your narrative is very helpful as well. You must be a wonderful teacher in the studio.

8. Veronica S. says:

Well-done!! And your step by step commentary helps to understand the process.

9. Jane says:

Indeed — I have just written this as one of my next exercises to try out… should be fun! Thank you for the information Shari, as you are constantly showing me different ways of painting — and that I appreciate enormously!!! Beautiful ;-)

10. Chris Rusk says:

Poetry in motion to look at your painting and figure out your approach. Beautiful work! Happy Spring, Chris