Daffodils

Someone told me recently that we’ve had 30 fewer days of sun this winter than we usually have in Montreal. I tried to confirm that but couldn’t find any reliable news articles about it. In any case, that could explain why I needed to paint some sunshine today.

Daffodils

About these ads

20 Comments on “Daffodils”

1. Mrs. P says:

I couldn’t help myself when you said daffodils I had to post the poem I used to have my students learn. Hoping for better weather. :)

Daffadowndilly by A.A. Milne

She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,
    She wore her greenest gown;
    She turned to the south wind
    And curtsied up and down.
    She turned to the sunlight
    And shook her yellow head,
    And whispered to her neighbour:
    “Winter is dead.”

• It’s wonderful Mrs. P. Thanks for sharing!
      Here’s one for you:

Daffodils

I wandered lonely as a cloud
      That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
      When all at once I saw a crowd,
      A host, of golden daffodils;
      Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
      Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
      And twinkle on the milky way,
      They stretched in never-ending line
      Along the margin of a bay:
      Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
      Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
      Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
      A poet could not but be gay,
      In such a jocund company:
      I gazed–and gazed–but little thought
      What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
      In vacant or in pensive mood,
      They flash upon that inward eye
      Which is the bliss of solitude;
      And then my heart with pleasure fills,
      And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

Wonderful! That is real water in a real glass. You even got the meniscus!

• And there’s a word I need to look up. I only know meniscus in the knee. I guess that in flowers it is the transparent part around the bloom. Right?

• Lee Kline says:

Water in any container, when it touches the edge of the container, has the slightest rise. It is the portion of water that rises slightly in the glass where the water touches the glass that I have always heard called the meniscus. Here is a dictionary definition: “The curved upper surface of a liquid in a tube.” Make any sense?

• Yes Lee. I was too tired to look it up last night but that is exactly what it is. Thanks for the science lesson.

3. Among other many fine qualities, I enjoy the sense of urgency here. The blooms, just bought, popped into a drinking glass, twist tie still holding tightly. Brown paper wrapping on the table. Nice. Sue Anne

4. Mary says:

Beautifully magnified stems in the glass of water Shari and your daffodils give hope of spring :)
    Wordsworth’s Daffodils is one of my favourites and always think of it when admiring the daffodils beside our lake. Thank you to Mrs. P. for Milne’s Daffadowndilly which i remember
    from so many years ago.
    Here’s another which you both might already know:

To Daffodils
    Fair daffodils we weep to see
    You haste away so soon
    As yet the early rising sun
    Has not attain’d his noon,
    Stay, stay
    Until the hasting day
    Has run
    But to evensong
    And having prayed together we
    will go with you along.

We have short time to stay as you
    We have as short a spring
    As quick a growth to meet decay
    As you or anything.
    We die
    As your hours do and dry away
    Like to the summer’s rain,
    Or as the pearls of mornings dew
    Ne’er to be found again.
    Robert Herrick

Maybe you’d like to sketch those buds when they’re fully open Shari!

ps. and Lee could help with this question…is the miniscus the concave described in the water?

• Thanks for the beautiful poem Mary. As you can see, poems about daffodils seem to have touched many people’s lives.
      I bought those daffodils from the Canadian Cancer Society, the ones they sell every year in shopping malls. They were completely closed yesterday and today they are completely open and hopefully will not die before I get a chance to paint them again.
      You were right about the concave in the water. I had never heard that term.

5. Chris Rusk says:

Hey Shari

I love Daffodils!

Re: Sunshine – check http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html – under ‘climate’.

Cheers,

Chris

6. Ross C says:

The Wordsworth poem takes me back to my high school days when we studied this one… the problem was that the teacher (and probably no one else in sub-tropical Australia) understood that daffodils spring up like wildflowers… the poem means so much more when you know this. I didn’t understand it until many years later, when I started traveling.
    It was also about the same time at high school that I learned about meniscus… don’t they teach science to Canadian girls?
    By the way, you got the vase crooked on the sheet… probably just careless scanning… you could always fix that by cropping is properly. : )

• I think I studied this one too, with a great poetry teacher I had in college. I guess he was better than my science teacher : )
      As for the crooked glass, that was me, not the scan. My art teacher wasn’t too good either.

7. Veronica S. says:

Wonderful, and the poems as well! Would you mind sharing your palette for this one? I’m curious about the shadows on the daffodils.

8. Jane Hannah says:

Shari :: no wonder you did not find any data on the weather as it was two farmers in Rigaud that told me that — LOL! I like the Wunderground website. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=rigaud&MR=1