Here and gone

It was a cloudy sky today but at just the right moment the sun came out and contributed some shadows to my sketch. I was only partway through my drawing but I dropped the pencil and took out my paints. It will only be a matter of weeks, or maybe days, before the whites in my sketches are replaced with yellowish-green.

SpringShadows

About these ads

12 Comments on “Here and gone”

1. Mary says:

Is your title Here and Gone symbolic of life and death, the sun and shadows, the snow
    (winter’s end)? as it sure says a lot about the cycle of life Shari. i think the perspective
    of Mount Royal’s cemetery is so impressive in this painting.

• My title was about the shadows that appeared just after I started painting but I like your interpretation Mary. The view is of the cemetery next to Vanier College that I can see from my window at school.

2. Ruth says:

Subtle and quite beautiful thoughts of time moving on with the changing light and shadows.
    You captured the mood and reality of seasons, but also of a lifetime. There will always be new beginnings associated with the seasons, but in life, while there is opportunity for many new beginnings, there is ultimately an end to our season. Your drawing of this quite serene place,
    is meaningful as we embrace spring and hope. Two interesting depictions, and beautifully
    done.

This is so nice. A great point of view. Ahhhh. Cemeteries. Are they not the most beautiful places to draw? In Paris everyone wants to see Pere Lachaise, but far better and stranger for my money is the one in Montmartre.

• Yes Lee, they are the most beautiful places to draw. I have never been to Pere Lachaise but I love the cemetery in Montmartre. I tried to take my workshop students there last year when I was in Paris but they didn’t want to go. I think it would have made a great spot for an afternoon of sketching.

4. daisylynn81 says:

You did a beautiful job! I have always found cemeteries to be a comforting place to go and think. They are always a place to escape from the rush of the world and simply sit and take life in for a spell.

5. Evie Macdonald says:

Love your composition and perspective. I used to hang out in a cemetery when I was a kid in Toronto. I’d bike there. I loved getting to know the trees, which were labelled, a bonus for a curious 11-year old. I still remember the ginko tree, and now I’m a grandma of four! If I’d been in your class I would have loved sketching in a cemetery!

6. Peggy Haug says:

Just LOVE the unique point of view present in many of your sketches! I stare at them and think, HOW does she do that?!?! I am SO sorry I missed the workshop you gave in Portland last summer!

7. Beth says:

Really nice sketch, Shari. (If I ever have a bit of free time, I want to come to one of the Montreal meetups…warm weather would be good too!)