Happy, happy

Things just haven’t been going right in my sketchbook this week. I start and discard one sketch after another. I move my car from one spot to the next, hoping for inspiration. And then it strikes me. You need to get out of the car to paint!! Car sketching days are over for this year! Or at least until October. The joy I felt at sitting outside today was indescribable, but I will try anyway. Birds chirping, bugs landing in my palette, the sun drying my paint. Montrealers who just came out of our harsh winter will undoubtably share my joy. (And I left the deckle edge of my paper in my post today just because it was so thrilling to paint on real watercolour paper instead of my sketchbook.)

FirstPots

About these ads

15 Comments on “Happy, happy”

1. I love how you captured the different shades of colour on the sides of the clay pots. Mine look like that too after a winter outside!

2. Linda daily says:

Once again you are a master at subtle neutrals!
    So happy you had a warm day. I just returned from
    NYC where it was so cold and windy,but I sketched outside
    anyway. Returned to beautiful spring days in Portland.
    I hope it continues for us all!

Love these pots, but is that still snow on the ground?
    And I must be confused (yet again!)… so, you were sitting in your car and then you decided that you “need to get out of the car to paint”… so, here is my confusion bit… were you parked in your car in your backyard???
    Regards
    Confused

• In Canada the snow under trees lasts all summer. It melts everywhere else.
      Yes, I pulled into my backyard to paint the pots. The other option was to stand far enough away from the car to paint that, but some people think I can’t draw cars.

• Ross says:

Hmmm. Sounds like you have some unresolved issues with people expressing opinions about your car drawing skills… that’s a shame.
        Anyway, you always do a good job on the pots (so that was definitely a better choice of subjects), and it was nice to see that you finally figured out that you can turn the paper and use a portrait format for this subject… good to see that you are not in a rut. : )

4. I see grass!!! clap! clap!

5. John Wright says:

I’m with you there Shari – it’s so nice to get outside again to sketch!

These groundhog day pots just seem to get better each rendition. I’m reminded of the Hening Mankel stories where the lead character’s father, who is an artist, has made a career out of painting the same view from his studio over and over. Ridiculous on one level, but I also get it, as there are a few scenes I keep coming back to and do a little differently each time. Sort of like performing music I guess.

• John, I thought you sketched outdoors all winter. What about all those construction sites? Were you in a car? I thought you were such a hardy Canadian.
      I will have to look up these stories that you mention. Yes, there is a certain comfort in doing the same thing again and again, each time a little differently. I guess these pots are my musical scales.

6. John Wright says:

Yes I draw outside, but when its cold I add the paint at home. Good sunshine and clear shadows are more important than temperature, at least about about – 15 or 20. Not sure about the hardiness, its more that I’m seldom happy with the results of drawing from a photograph. Luckily, I work very quickly and can usually block out a sketch before my hand seizes up.

The Menkel books are police mysteries and are a little dark, in the Swedish manner, or Ian Rankin’s series, not about art.

7. Veronica S. says:

Just Beautiful! I can feel your happiness in this lovely still-life/landscape.