Two views of the Lachine Canal

How fortunate that Urban Sketchers Montreal picked the nicest day of the year so far for our April outing. When we met around 10 a.m. it was looking like it might just be the perfect spring day and as we sketched more and more people arrived along the Lachine Canal. By bike, on foot, on roller blades, with dogs and babies and aunties and girlfriends. I think all of Montreal passed us by at some point. And we all breathed a common sigh of relief. We are done with winter.

CanalView1

I couldn’t stay all day but I did one sketch facing west and another view of the city from across the canal looking over the Atwater market towards downtown and Mount Royal.

CanalView2

About these ads

11 Comments on “Two views of the Lachine Canal”

1. The joy of finally having spring sunshine really comes through in these pictures.

2. Sue says:

wonderful pictures…glad you all had fun…

3. Kitty says:

Hello Shari I am a newcomer to your sketches.Careen Heggie connected me to your mailing, Because I thought I would like to give sketching/painting a try.it has always interested me; but there never was any time.Having a hard time drawing a straight line,I am wondering if I should pursue this.Carreen (my sister in law) tells me that you give lessons. Perhaps I could take one and you could tell me if it might be best to take up knitting.

Best Regards

Kitty Sent from my iPad

• Hi Kitty. Glad you could visit the blog! I do give lessons in watercolour but it sounds to me like you need to take some drawing classes first. I would suggest that you look for a local drawing class to begin with and get yourself a little sketchbook to practice in every day. Most people who take my workshops have some experience in painting and drawing. If your drawing teacher tells you to keep on drawing (as opposed to knitting!) and it is something you enjoy then you could get on my mailing list for next year’s classes.

4. Peggy Haug says:

Don’t know how you do it Shari, but these 2 sketches are so evocative of what you described: finally getting outside to sketch on a warm spring day! The color is so fresh!

5. rene fijten says:

Such a beautiful scene! Love how the red chimney attracks the attention! And the winding path.

6. Swapniel says:

Reblogged this on Melbourne's Notebook and commented:
    This painting made me both mesmerized and nostalgic at same time!