Christina Eleni in Gloucester

There is great beauty in shipyards and boats in dry dock. The Christina Eleni is all rust and lines and ladders — and observed straight on — very hard to draw. But that what makes it so much fun.

ChristinaEleni

About these ads

18 Comments on “Christina Eleni in Gloucester”

1. Monique says:

You are a master boat painter:)It’s pouring here..

2. John Wright says:

I’m a sucker for ships, but this is GOOD! I loved the Alison Page , but my sensibilities tend to the less accurate, so the broad gestures and raggedy edges of this painting hit the spot for me.
    The Alison Page story was about her context. This painting is about Christini Eleni – a certain elegance, but she has worked hard every day of her life.
    Bravo – you nailed it.

• Thanks John. I know that you know boats so I am especially appreciative of your comments. And you are so right about context vs. subject. This was all about the hard-working boat. I wanted to do a side view too but by then it was quite late and I was pretty tired.

3. Sue says:

I love love love this watercolor! The blue and rust colors are also rich and beautiful…

• Thanks Sue. I am very happy with the sketchbook paper I am using (hand book journal) because it can take a lot of paint and that was what was needed to paint those rusts and blues. Many layers of paint…

4. Mary says:

Wow, that’s so impressive Shari and you are truly making huge leaps with all your painting.
    The juxtaposition of the blue and rust is so beautiful and creates a powerful bow.
    They’ll love you in Barcelona :)

• Thanks so much Mary. I feel so lucky to have had the full week to sketch and paint. There are many more sketches and paintings I haven’t even posted yet. It is so different when you are away from home because you really have time to get totally immersed in the work. It was a wonderful gift to have had that time.

5. sefeniak says:

An awesome homage to a hard working vessel!

6. Monika says:

Marvellous! It’s almost 3-D, I just want to reach out and grab that ship and play with it!

7. drawandshoot says:

Wonderful! Your boat series is stellar.

I am gobsmacked every time you post. Please do not ever, ever, ever drop me from your list. And thanks for your generous comments on my Turkey sketches.

9. So much to like on this one – details and wonderful painting as usually, but really dig the perspective and sense of size of the dry-docked ship.