End of summer pond

It’s not quite the end of summer but I have started seeing hints of leaves turning yellow and then red. I dread the day when it gets too cold to sit outside to paint so I try to take advantage of every moment to sit outside. With that in mind, I returned today to the pond in Baie d’Urfé that I sketched earlier in the summer. I have been promising myself to go back there with a bigger sheet of paper to paint there while I still can. Painted on Saunders Waterford, 140 lb HP, 12″ x 9″.

BaiedUrfePond2

About these ads

35 Comments on “End of summer pond”

1. Martine Paquet says:

Beautiful!

2. Carmen Renaud says:

Absolutely stunning! Love it! Love it! Love it!
    Carmen

3. Shari,
    Wonderful capture of the reflections!

4. Fleet Woodley says:

Such a nice overlay and interplay of reflected sky and foliage on the water. The stones in the foreground are handled quite well. You always did do good rocks though. ;-)

Fleetwood

Gorgeous and thanks for telling the size.

6. Beautiful, love all the different shades of green.

7. I love the reflections and the variety of colours.

That’s great… depth and reflections are very convincing. A technical question… did you turn the paper upside down to work on the reflections of the trees?

• That’s a good question Ross and it made me think about how I painted this. No, I didn’t turn the paper upside down to do this. But it did make me realize that I never once looked at the trees that created the reflection. I was staring so hard into the water to figure out how to capture the reflections that I never looked up.

• Ross says:

Good… I think that is the right way to do it. After thinking some more on this (and recalling some of my formal perspective training from decades ago) I realized that the reflections will be different from the reflected object because the eye position is effectively lower than the viewer… so the object will look different because you are effectively seeing the object from a lower vantage point. The difference is negligible when you are looking at mountains in the distance reflected in a lake but the difference becomes more pronounced when the object is closer… like trees reflected in a pond. But you probably already knew that. Did that make sense?

• I’m not quite sure what you mean when you say the eye position is lower than the viewer. Do you mean the eye position of the person painting and the viewer of the painting?
        In any case, I just try to paint what I see without much theory involved. That just complicates things! Probably the wrong thing to say to an architect but I am just looking at the shapes, not the volumes.

• Ross says:

Ignore my explanation… stick with what you do… the results speak for themselves.

9. Excellent !

Mark de Zabaleta

10. Joanna says:

The reflections in this are beautifulxx

11. Jane Hannah says:

Hi Shari — this is beautiful Shari… and a beautiful theme too!

12. donmcn says:

A joy to visit here Shari, thanks for posting.

13. sefeniak says:

Lovely reflections and colors.

14. Alison says:

Ooooo, la, la! This is truly masterful Shari. Great composition with the rocks in foreground and the sky only seen as a reflection. REALLY wonderful!

15. I love this one, Shari! So beautiful, an inverted landscape!