Wipeout!

It’s always more interesting for me to post a sketch when there’s a story to accompany it, and the story I have to tell with this sketch is that I painted  it with a fractured wrist. Of course I didn’t realize it was fractured at the time (from slipping on an icy trail while walking the dog!) because the pain only really started later in the day. So this was done in the time between the fall and the time the cast went on, when there was not much discomfort. It doesn’t seem to be a very good start to the year (sketching in the deep freeze, sketching with a cast on) but who knows what it may lead to. Possibly a series of very loose sketches because the only brushes I can hold are the big ones!

Pomegranate

About these ads

79 Comments on “Wipeout!”

1. raenassketchbook says:

Now THAT is dedication! Sorry about your wrist…and on the dom hand! We’ve had lots of ice here too (Boise, ID) and I walk everyday. Many close calls and I’ve even thought to myself that I had better try to catch myself with my non-dom! I look forward though to seeing your ‘loose’ paintings, since I’ve been trying to ‘loosen up’ myself…hoping to be more like you!

2. Marion Perrault says:

How terrible for anybody but for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! I cannot imagine. Heal well. M

3. mckitt123 says:

Whoa, seriously, that is amazing! You must have a very high pain threshold. I find all your pieces intriguing, and always look forward to a post from you.

4. kari says:

Your dedication–your drive to press on through freezing temps and bone fractures–is inspiring. I love that you embrace the new paths and styles that each challenge brings.

5. I am SO inspired by your paintings. Your sketches are already loose, so I am curious to see how your painting works out with the cast on. As a retired physio, I say GREAT, keep on moving and using that wrist with the cast on!

• It is amazing that the left hand just picks up the slack. The only thing I really can’t do is use a knife to prepare food. Or wash dishes! Thanks for the good wishes Carolyn.

• You can always get the foam tubing used to protect pipes, and wrap that around the handle of a utensil or a paintbrush and tape it on with masking tape. That will enlarge the grip and make it easier to use. Cast or no cast your sketches are fabulous!

• That’s a great idea. I hadn’t thought about doing that.

6. andre savard says:

Interesting! I would not have noticed that they were done with a big brush. That is an art and that is what my teacher Helmut says all the time. Andy don’t forget. big brushes. Very good job and good luck with your wrist.

7. Debo Boddiford says:

Oh dear….that’s not the story I was hoping to hear! But I have confidence that you can still paint a beautiful sketch with your non-dominant hand and your eyes closed!
    Your dedication to sketching everyday (even with major challenges) is inspirational!

8. captelaine says:

OH NO!!! Take care of yourself… I do always enjoy your paintings.

9. Annice Polacsik says:

Sorry to hear about your accident, I am a big fan and just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

Annice Polacsik

Sent from my iPad

10. Jane Hannah says:

Oh my Shari — your pain threshold must be high? God! Well keep up that spirit of yours — and btw, love this painting -)

11. Connie says:

Ouch ouch, I did exactly the same thing with my %*£@ dog last year, and still a little creaky. Speedy recovery, and please keep up your daily sketches if you can – must be good therapy? :) Love your work!

• Sketching is always good therapy Connie. I’m usually more careful on ice but this was a snow-covered path so I was walking quickly. I just didn’t realize that there was an icy patch. Hope you are well.

12. Riley says:

Oh, dear! Well, I read somewhere that we should learn to enjoy moments of forced relaxation, but I think moments of forced looser paintings should qualify too. Good luck with the healing!

13. Myra says:

Sending you “healing” thoughts Shari!

14. So sorry to read about the fracture. I’m really looking forward to seeing you overcome this obstacle, Shari. I’m betting you will find a way : )

OK, stay calm…I’m going to put my hands on both sides of your head. Can you feel it? HEAL!!! You will be all right now. Love the painting, by the way….

16. Chris Rusk says:

I broke my ankle a few years ago while playing baseball. One never really understands how effective your body is at naturally doling out adrenaline until such an injury. Bad break, but great optimism! Nice pomegranate sketch to boot! Chris

17. May Stern says:

You have got to be kidding me!!! What a way to start the New Year! But at least it can only get better from here. I adore your optimism in the face of adversity. Making lemonade out of lemons! Makes you my Hero. <3

18. monbaum says:

Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Not a nice start to the year :-(

19. Tom Jump says:

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear that news! Hope you recover quickly and it doesn’t affect your work or sketching much. Luv the pomegranate & grapes! Get well soon, TJ

20. Verla says:

It did not seem to harm your work in any way. This is a great painting. Glad you were done before the pain came.

21. sefeniak says:

Ouch! Hope the healing process is quick. You will miss your art and so will all your followers if you can’t continue for the duration!!

22. karla salyer says:

Oh my gosh! You are so dedicated! Wishing you a speedy recovery Shari.

23. drawandshoot says:

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that, Shari. Apparently you can still work magic with a fractured wrist. You have painted a plate of jewels. Best wishes for a quick heal.

24. nikute101 says:

I hope you wrist heals nicely, beautiful work

25. pat says:

So sorry! Now the stark realization that even with your painting hand casted, you’ll be painting”circles” around most of us. Thanks for persevering…I love your postings.

26. Mary says:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh….so sorry to hear about your wrist Shari. I was a little concerned about you when you didn’t post Dec. 4th! Hope you’re not in too much pain and discomfort and know you’ll meet your new painting challenge with a casted freedom of expression :) I dislocated my wrist slipping on ice with my dog ten years ago and it didn’t affect my art. You might even want to paint with your other hand, good practice. Know your work will continue to be amazing.
    All the best for good healing and p.s. your pomegranate and grapes are so juicy :)

27. cathy mcauliffe says:

Shari- So sorry to hear that, hope you heal very soon. A member of my sketch group had surgery on her dom hand and got quite good at sketching with her other hand. Many years ago I broke my leg and was house-bound for many months. I have a nice series of paintings that I did looking out each window in the house.-Cathy

28. Angie says:

I thought you would post a picture of a drum kit or someone playing Wipe out! Not a nasty fall, Oohhhh! So sorry to hear your got a cast! Stay off the slick roads if you can! Great painting btw!

29. abz says:

Sorry to hear about your fall… art goes on!
    …here is my falling on ice story…http://abrianzamp.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/2-162/

30. Mandii says:

Eep!! Hope your wrist gets better soon!! Love your positive attitude though, and your sketch :)

Happy New Year! Unfortunately, you get no sympathy from me, if you are going out walking on icy paths… you got more than enough sympathy in the comments above.
    But if you want some inspiration, I will tell you about Les Paul, the legendary guitarist, who (I will paraphrase from Wikipedia here)… shattered his right arm and elbow in a near-fatal automobile accident on an icy Route 66… doctors told him that they could not rebuild his elbow so that he would regain movement; his arm would remain permanently in whatever position they placed it in. Their other option was amputation. Paul instructed surgeons to set his arm at an angle—just under 90 degrees—that would allow him to cradle and pick the guitar.
    Seems to me you should have been having your doctors fashion a brush holder into your cast so that you could just keep on painting. : )

• I would expect no less from you Ross!
      I love the story about Les Paul. The man that put my cast on was 70 years old and he had already retired three times but the hospital kept pulling him back to work. He’d been doing this job for over 40 years. I bet he could have made me a brush holder if I had asked. I will remember that for next time I slip on ice.

32. John Bartoldus says:

You could create beauty in a full body cast! Heal swiftly and painlessly mon ami

33. That’s what we do for our dogs :) walking them, whatever the weather may be…

Get well ! Here, in Portugal the pomegranate is also associated with today’s day : Kings’ Day .

• Pomegranates are beautiful fruit to draw, aren’t they? Happy King’s Day and thanks for the good wishes. Hope the weather is gentler for dog walking than here in Montreal.

34. I hope your wrist will be ready to catch the colors of spring.
    Soigne-toi bien !

Michel Colson

35. Oh boy, am I gonna miss this daily inspiration from you and your brush!

36. Vicky Porter says:

I’m so sorry about your fall and your broken wrist. From experience, I know that can take quite a while to heal, but I did learn something from switching hands. I hope you mend quickly and that you find new ways to make your beautiful art. Best wishes.

• Thanks Vicky.I haven’t tried drawing with my left hand yet although many people have suggested it. Maybe after a lot of practice with eating I can take the fork away and substitute a pencil.

37. azergo24 says:

Poor Shari, I know how you feel. I broke my wrist in September and I went back to painting and drawing just lately.
    surprisingly, I am better. My drawing and drawing are looser.
    Good luck and take care of yourself. Lily