Breaking the ice

I know that my travel palette is well used (translation: a bit of a mess) but today I couldn’t figure out why it was so dirty until I realized that what I had mistaken for dirt was actually ice crystals forming on the enamel mixing surface. This has happened once before on a really cold day, and as I did last time, I had to take my half-finished sketch home to the warmth of my indoor studio and complete it there. My car studio was well heated but on some really cold days there is just no amount of preheating that will allow me to sketch outdoors.

SnowMarker

About these ads

16 Comments on “Breaking the ice”

1. karla salyer says:

Shari, your daily sketches and unending dedication are a great inspiration! Stay warm. I live in the United States in Arizona where we are having a heat wave. Yesterday was 80 degrees! I look forward to your sketches everyday, your art is amazing……

2. kari says:

My fingers are always the first part of me to feel icy and arthritic in the cold. I don’t know how you manage to work outdoors AT ALL this time of year, creating such impressive sketches.

3. Dory Rice says:

Love your winter tree sketches! By the way Nina Johansson (www.ninajohansson.se)has a new entry on her blog about using vodka with her watercolor to keep it from freezing in Sweden. Might be fun to check out!

4. John Bartoldus says:

I can relate to your heating problems . . . I’m on my way out to sketch and I keep thinking I should wait until the sun moves farther to the west so it isn’t so hot. I literally plan my scenes around how shady the street is and how many palm trees there are. Not bragging, it really gets hot here and I actually miss the change of seasons. Au revoir professor.

• Bonjour mon ami Jacques. My watercolour heart bleeds for you! I hope you find some peace in the shade of a palm. You have no idea how bad this winter is and how I long for just one day of warmth…

5. Andrea Barskiy says:

A friend of mine had the same problem. Solution found: instead of using pure water, do a 50/50 mix of water and vodka. It does work! And your pages won’t smell like vodka once it’s all dry!

6. Tony M. says:

Hi,
    I believe Liz Steel turned me on to your blog, and I have to say I am loving your daily sketches.

Love that background… a nice graphic quality… flat but not really flat. And then the foreground is sooo white… just what I imagine the snow looks like… it must have been hard to not add more paint to the large white areas.

8. audrey Ballard says:

Use gin instead of water for the liquid in your palette as we did one late fall in Georgian bay.