My palette

As an adjunct to my post yesterday, I did a sketch of my palette, and below that a diagram of the colours. It was a pretty useful exercise because I realize there are some colours that I’ve never used until I did this sketch today. My palette is an old one from Daniel Smith but I love it and have added some extra pans that are held in with popsicle sticks and a bit of wooden dowel. Do I need those extra colours? Probably not. I do most of my sketches with six or seven basic colours unless I’m painting something really colourful like beach umbrellas or flowers. Will I remove the extra colours? Probably not. The only change I will make is to add Indanthrene Blue which is now living in a temporary home on a mixing tray. You may notice that there are two yellows in the top row that are unidentified. That’s because I forget what they are and never use them, so rather than cause confusion I left them blank. I think the one on the left is cadmium yellow.

MyPalette

MyPalettewithNotes

About these ads

31 Comments on “My palette”

1. mariyaah says:

It looks really great.
    Whenever I paint I waste most of my time mixing and making new colours and at the end I don’t use them and they end up staying and drying in th palette.

2. kari says:

Such vibrant colors, and I appreciate the peek into your palette.

3. Eoin says:

yes, thanks for that. lovely colours and interesting to hear what you use

4. O, yes yesss yessssss! One of my FAVORITE things to paint – almost like a paint-self-portrait.. Beautiful, as usual!!

5. Barb says:

Shari, thank you for sharing your palette with us. Some of the simplest lesson are the biggest ones. I am going to redo my palette immediately. You are so giving with your passion, watercolor. Barb

6. Monique says:

I love the peek..hope you don’t mind I pinned~

7. Linda Daily says:

Thanks so much for sharing your palette,Shari.
    We all seem to buy colors we rarely use. Those gorgeous tubes and names
    are so tempting. Daniel Smith seems very good at providing colors you don’t really need
    but want anyway. I purchased ‘Moonglow’ just because of the name!

8. Sue says:

Thanks for sharing your palette and colors. I found this helpful….Sue

9. Teoh Yi Chie says:

Nice colours. So what are the 6-7 colours that you usually use?

10. Tim Mancusi says:

Hi Shari,
    First of all I think there is something very dada about painting a watercolor of your watercolor paints. Like doing a drawing of the pencil that did the drawing of the … Okay, maybe more zen than dada. At any rate, you mentioned that you “do most of my sketches with six or seven basic colours”. Just exactly what are those 6 or 7 colors and your preferable manufacturer of them. And is there a specific placement of them on your tray and if so why?
    Thanks, Tim

11. Britta says:

thanks for showing your palette AND name the colors! It´s amazing! Some of the colors I use also – but some not and now I know the name of the ones that I want to try out! Great!

12. If it’s not too nosy a question, which are the “six or seven” that you use all the time?

Thanks!

13. Connie Renaud says:

Thank you letting us having a look at palette and colours. It is very helpful.

14. Martine Kervagoret says:

Super j’adore merci Shari pour le partage

15. Lesli W., Portland, Oregon USA says:

Shari,
    Thanks so much for the palette. If you have a chance, I’d love to know the 6 or 7 that you use most often so I can be sure I have them in mine. I love your work!!! Wish I lived much closer and sorry to hear I missed you in Portland last year at the Sketchcrawl.

Thanks so much for sharing all your gorgeous work,

Lesli

16. Lesli W., Portland, Oregon USA says:

Shari,

Sorry, I just was your response!

Thanks so much,