American beets

You know spring is getting really close with the arrival of American produce from the southern states. Food is starting to look like it’s coming from a farm rather than cold storage and that makes me happy. Of course when I pick things up in the market more often than not I wonder if they would make a good painting rather than a good meal and I just couldn’t resist these beets today.  Painted wet-in-wet on a quarter sheet of Fabriano soft press paper with bigger blob of Alizarin Crimson than I usually use, Hansa Yellow Light, Viridian Green, Permanent Blue and Cerulean Blue.

AmericanBeetsc

About these ads

31 Comments on “American beets”

1. Julie Gomez says:

Shari, I think the colors are really nice. You captured their freshness beautifully. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful sketches and paintings! 😊

2. I am so happy that you are telling us technique and paint colours. Process info like this helps me as I try different things. I would love to see ‘in process’ photos too!
    Thanks for your inspiring site. I check it every day.
    Christine

• I have done a few “in process” posts but not for this technique. I’ll try to take a few photos next time. I can’t scan the “in progress” for wet-in-wet like this since the paper is soaking wet.

3. Dee says:

Perfect!

4. Monique says:

I just love these.

5. Roberta says:

I love this too!

6. Paula says:

Great painting And info!

7. Nathalie says:

Can’t beat these beets. They are truely wonderful!

8. Sue says:

BEAUTIFUL!

9. Debo Boddiford says:

Beet-iful!

10. Ruth says:

You have created such an amazing painting of these beets, I feel that I could reach my hand in
    and pick them right off the table. Just beautiful !

11. liz bundle says:

As Debo above so aptly commented BEET-IFUL! Fabulous shadows, amazing leaves.

12. zenkatwrites says:

Shari I don’t leave comments nearly enough. I look forward to seeing your post each day — such lovely watercolors. I am an artist who worked in acrylics and am now learning watercolor, and you are an inspiration. Thank you.

13. Mmmm – I can smell their root-y-ness :) This beautiful-as-always piece has inspired me to remember that fresh produce season is gearing up again (thank goodness)! Perhaps this weekend I’ll go out & find some Irish ones from my local Connemara supermarket (you can visit the supermarket here & get produce from the same folks who are vendors at the farmers’ markets!).. Beet chips & beet salad, I hear you calling my name! Xox

14. cathy mcauliffe says:

I know what you mean about vegetables as subjects-I would much rather paint beets than eat them! These look great. I’ll email you one of my beet paintings.

15. rosjenke says:

I just adore your paintings. I subscribed a short while ago and have been meaning to comment earlier. I look forward to my inbox each day for these wonderful paintings. I am so happy that you give a bit of information re colours and techniques used. Wish I lived closer – I would take a workshop with you in a flash.
    BTW – beets are great wrapped in foil and baked.