Coal Harbour

I didn’t quite get to finish the details of this demonstration but I thought I’d post it anyway. Today we worked with a limited palette of primary colours – in my case: alizarin, ultramarine and azo yellow. It’s amazing how much variety you can obtain with three hues. The scene I picked was fairly complex — the Vancouver Rowing Club is a busy place on a Saturday morning — so I probably could have worked on the ink drawing some more but the rain clouds were coming (always a concern at a plein aire workshop!) and we didn’t want to get soaked. Despite that I think I managed to express the essence of the Tudor style building set against the dark trees and mountains.

20140705-183949-67189780.jpg

About these ads

11 Comments on “Coal Harbour”

1. Mary Sanchez says:

I love how you have captured the drama of the trees.

2. TonyU says:

Hi Shari. Have been thinking about you at your West Coast workshops. We were in Vancouver a few years ago and I remember this beautiful building so well – together with the bike ride around Stanley Island. Thanks for sharing your three demo and for bringing the memories back. Hope the weather starts behaving a bit better for you. Best Tony

• Thanks Tony. Yes, this is right where all the bikers start their ride around the park. Coal Harbour was my favourite Vancouver location. Now that I’m in Anacortes the weather is perfect. Thanks for thinking of me!

3. Suzanne M says:

Only three colors, and we can feel the rainy atmosphere and smell the forest from here!

4. brooklyn49 says:

The minute I opened up your blog I said “she’s relaxing, she’s in her groove.” Bravo professor! Jacques

5. Linda says:

This painting is wonderful, love the trees and the way you did these have trouble with trees and enjoy looking at the ones that can paint well, like yours. wish I could od seen you do these.

6. Jean says:

Looking your photos makes me miss Vancouver BC. Enjoy the rest of the Pacific Northwest! Happy painting and may you be forever inspired.