Painting the parks of Utah

It’s been a grand summer for travel and for my final week of summer holiday I’ve been invited to paint the five National Parks of Utah. The landscape in this part of the world is jaw-droppingly beautiful. The first park is Capitol Reef, a hidden gem from what I’ve read. Not as popular or crowded as Bryce or Zion, and that makes it the perfect place to start.
It’s a whole new ball game for me to paint in this heat and dryness, not to mention a whole new palette of colours for these red rocks. This is about as far as you can get from the colours of Newfoundland, and it make take a few more tries to get used to painting here but it is quite a thrill to try to capture this in paint!

IMG_2735.JPG

About these ads

40 Comments on “Painting the parks of Utah”

1. Jane Hannah says:

Wow Shari! You are certainly moving around this summer — good for you -) The art world is embracing you, and you are giving back by showing us these outstanding paintings. Yeah Shari!

2. Mary says:

Such diversified landscapes you’re painting Shari and it certainly shows in this one that you
    continue to love painting rocks :) We’re all learning so much from this wonderful travelling art experience, thanks so much!

3. Last summer we visited Zion and Bryce – amazing and beautiful! Enjoy! I’m looking forward to seeing your paintings.

4. Jeff Gold says:

Shari-This is really wonderful. I marvel at your ability to take a complex group of objects (especially the rocks at bottom) and make a super simplified but harmonious composition out of them. I’ve enjoyed the West Coast and Maritime images very much but this takes the cake for me. Brava!!

5. TR Duncan says:

absolutely exquisite!

6. mizDee says:

Been to Bryce and Zion, and you have it just right!

7. Vicky Porter says:

Shari, you seem to be able to capture any landscape that’s in front of you! This is gorgeous and how I remember Utah from backpacking there years ago. Can’t wait to see what you paint next.

8. Alison says:

Magnificent Shari! I’ve experienced somewhat similar landscape and you have captured it beautifully. Great sense of the depth and the light.

9. Tony says:

Wow! What an opportunity! What a challenge! What a painting! And what a summer you’re having!

10. I love this new style! Shari c’est une très jolie palette!

11. george smith says:

Jaw-dropping is what your colors of the rocks is. Have photographed for days at CR, and could never have imagined a painting being so stunning. Wait until you experience Bryce Canyon. You have made my day.

12. brooklyn49 says:

Excellent, stay cool, drink lots of water. Your paintings will be hotter than Utah! Jacques

13. azergo24 says:

Gorgeous painting! Stay cool. Lily

14. Janet says:

Loved everyone of your paintings this summer, but now you are in my part of the world, the western U.S., and I do believe you’ve captured it beautifully in the picture of Capital Reef. Your colors and technique are exquisite. You make it all look so easy and I know it’s not!

15. tmikeporter says:

I am just realizing that your work with Tom Hoffman helped prepare you for this new adventure. Good painting to you!

16. Fabulous painting! Love the colors. I will be visiting this beautiful area in November and can’t wait. What colors did you use to capture that red?

• I used lots of different colours in this. Burnt Sienna, Alizarin, Quin Burnt orange. I hope you have a wonderful time. You will certainly be avoiding the crowds that I experienced.

17. george smith says:

meant to say colors of the rocks are. It was early in the AM.

18. Kalena says:

Outstanding!!!! XO You be careful out there on those cliffs now you hear!? Mom…..Kalena

19. Pam Crowe-Weisberg says:

Dear Shari,
    We met you and your husband at the event in Torrey. We are from NYC originally.
    Your work work is terrific . I love the recent ones of Capital Reef.
    Will any of them be for sale?
    Thanks and enjoy your travels
    Pam