In the sun

Weather conditions in Montreal are about as close to tropical as you can get today. With the mercury hitting 32 ° and full humidity, I thought it might be approximating conditions in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, where I will be attending the Urban Sketchers Symposium in July. Following a near-decapitation from a red-winged blackbird whose nest I approached, I chose a bright spot on the grounds of the Baie d’Urfé Town Hall to test whether I could paint in direct sun. It was a pure disaster. I couldn’t see my colours and the smallest wash evaporated instantly, leaving dry edges everywhere. This is my second sketch, done much more calmly, from a bench in the shade.

Town Hall

12 Comments on “In the sun”

1. Valerie says:

Lovely painting. Welcome home.

2. Linda Daily says:

Love those greens-so much variety but they are cohesive.
    As to the direct sun–now we know why the Impressionist’s and others had umbrellas!

3. Monique says:

It flew by!

I like this.

4. carpelibrum says:

Love the lush greenery! Good luck in the heat! Yesterday was pretty hot where I live but we are lucky to not have the humidity.

5. refarch says:

All these different greens fantastic. My professor always told me the human eye is sensible to more shades and tones of green than any other colour.

6. Ross C says:

This subject has got to be a watercolourist’s worst nightmare… how to achieve definition and depth in a painting which is 90% green! You have done it with style.
    But, after complimenting you on your foliage two days ago, I can’t help thinking that you have let my comments go to your head and that you are now just showing off. : )