Pears in sun

The pears were on the counter, the light was hitting them the right way and I grabbed a cut sheet of paper from my studio and painted them fast. As I started to paint I gave myself a little slap on the head as a reminder to use watercolour paper more often. When I’m in a rush I often grab my Moleskine book but the paper is just not as good. It doesn’t take glazes as well, the pigments always appear duller, and the white of the paper is just not as bright. When will I learn?

Painted on Fabriano Artistico Extra white 140 lb soft press paper, 11″ x 7″.

PearsinSun

22 Comments on “Pears in sun”

1. Alison says:

So fresh and spontaneous! Delicious in every way. Thanks for a bright spot on a grey April day.

2. drawandshoot says:

Wonderful! This makes me happy.
    (Sunshine is great but when is it going to warm up?!)

3. Darlene Rember says:

My all time favourite. Beautiful colour. Thank you Darlene

Sent from my iPad 😉

4. Angie Macleod says:

Lovely and light, well done, the pears look great to to grab and eat!

5. Ross C says:

Great colours… almost luminous. But what I like most is the nicely balanced composition with the off-centre subjects.

6. Don McNulty says:

Yes, delicious. I love this. This is why I love watercolour, too.

7. Mary says:

These colours are actually singing Shari, illuminated with joy 🙂
    It looks like back lighting, brilliant!

So juicy! Let’s make some tartes. What pencil do you use?

• Thanks Lee. Yes, very juicy.
      This is my favorite pencil that I bought from Muji. I bought it at the MoMA but it’s a Japanese store that I discovered first in Paris. It’s just a mechanical pencil but I love it so much and I only have one. I think I may get another one when I go to NYC this year.

9. Chris Rusk says:

I saw the ‘light’ in your painting immediately (before reading your comments). Outstanding delivery!

10. Michael says:

Great painting. I have the same problem re using sketchbook paper instead of real watercolour paper. A sketchbook is a lot of fun – you can flip the pages back and forth to see how you’ve approached different subjects. But Real watercolour paper allows you to do so much more, but you don’t have the same ability to review your work. I don’t understand why Arches doesn’t create a sketchbook with its cotton paper. Not all of us are able to make their own sketchbooks using real paper. Keep up the great work. I enjoy visiting your site.

• Thanks for visiting Michael. I know what you mean about creating sketchbooks. There are plenty of people who make them and they look beautiful but I just have no time left to do that. I would much rather be painting!
      Arches does have a travel carnet but I don’t like the paper at all. It sucks up all the water on the brush. It’s as if it is extra thirsty paper!!

11. rkb665 says:

Luminious even on moleskine!