Greenhouse greens

I have been trying out different yellows in my palette this week because of some concern that the aureolin that I use is not lightfast. This week I tried making greens with cadmium yellow pale (successful but a bit more opaque), gamboge (a bit too orange), winsor yellow (also good) and hansa yellow (nice). Not sure what I used in all of these mixes because I was sketching at Ferme Tournesol while people were picking up the first CSA baskets of the year so there were a lot of distractions, mostly people talking and catching up with the farmers after the long winter.

SpringBaskets

17 Comments on “Greenhouse greens”

1. What blue (or blues) are you using to mix with the different yellows to get these greens?

I’ve been following your blog for about a year (when I started taking watercolor classes myself). Thank you for doing this. It’s inspiring, and educational. You’re paintings are beautiful.

• Thanks Julia. So glad you are enjoying these. I probably mixed some cobalt blue and some sap green into this mix. Must there is a high proportion of yellow in here and just a dab of blue.

2. Angela T. Macleod says:

You are the queen of “don’t state, indicate” well done!

3. kasperart says:

i wonder how long it takes to paint this, love it when the colors are mixed and the sketchy lines are also great, it brings so much fluency and spontaneity in your work.

• This was done is about 20 minutes, I think. But I am sometimes bad at estimating the time. I get really absorbed in what I am doing and time stands still for a while.

4. Monique says:

So well done!!After our long winter you must be enjoying all this color!
    My daughter goes to that farm:)

I should too!!

5. Debra Ganong says:

Despite the distractions (and I know I was one of them!) your drawing succeeded beautifully.

6. I purchase seeds from that farm (by mail) – fun to “see” it!

Love those gaps in the white carrier. They jump.

8. […] for permission to take photos of the produce, and happened to have my Canon 5D with me. Check out Shari’s blog, where she posts a new sketch everyday. This day it was the TourneSol produce that inspired her. […]

9. goingtoseed says:

You make the share look fantastic!