An embarrassment of riches

I was spoiled with flowers for Mother’s Day — so many bouquets I had to spread them around different rooms of the house. The lilacs ended up staying on the kitchen counter and getting sketched first.

Lilacs

25 Comments on “An embarrassment of riches”

1. I love lilacs! Just planted a bush last week!

2. Vicky Porter says:

Lovely! They’re so light and airy–just like lilacs. I can practically smell them:)

3. sefeniak says:

Beautifully done!

4. Sue says:

BEAUTIFUL! Well done!!!!

5. Katrin says:

Beautiful!!! I’ll jump right out and get me some lilac from my bush. I love ’em!!

6. Beverley Rankin says:

Gorgeous!

Beautiful, Shari. I would love to see the effect your experience has on your students. Some day you could possibly share?

Happy Mother’s Day!
    I’m impressed that you chose to paint such difficult flowers.

• Thanks Ross. I decided to try these because they have always been my favourites. And as I wrote in another comment, I was especially pleased to receive these because my own lilac died this year. It won’t be long before these start making a mess on the counter so I had to try to paint them quickly.

• Ross says:

So, the dying lilac was in your neglected terra cotta pots under the winter snow? : )
        And, as a separate issue, I am guessing that “an embarrassment” of riches is your collective noun to describe the situation… good to see your attitude because, for many people, their collective noun is usually “an inadequacy”.

9. Leon Iwan says:

Happy mothers day! I can smell the lilacs from here.

10. Graham Fahye says:

Hello Shari ,
    I love the way You have painted the Lilacs ….. really nice . What size is the painting .
    I just arrived in Hong Kong and I will be here until July , so I hope that I will be back in time for the Montreal workshop .

Greetings from Hong Kong .

Graham

• Hi Graham,
      Glad you like the lilacs! This was painted on a 9″ x 12″ sheet of Fabriano Artistico hot pressed paper, although I didn’t use the whole sheet. This is about 8″ x 8″.
      I hope you make it back from Hong Kong in time for the workshop too!! And I hope you have a sketchbook with you there so you can show us some Hong Kong scenes.

11. Corinne Avery says:

This is just lovely…I can almost smell the lilacs! I live in Rochester, NY, and the Lilac Festival is going on right now….a huge event in our “Flower City”. Where were these lilacs from?
    Corinne Avery