Deep and dark

I have many thanks to send out today. The first one goes to Mary Kay Carbone of Four Winds Pottery in Rockport who found my work online, bought some prints to sell in her shop and encouraged me to spend some time painting in Cape Ann. This is truly a special place.
Secondly, thanks to my friend Fleet Woodley who suggested I try M. Graham paints, which I am experimenting with this week and really liking for their creaminess and saturation.
Lastly, thanks to Don at Island Art and Hobby in Gloucester who carries the M. Graham paints in his shop and who suggested I visit Halibut State Park because I might like the granite quarries. You were right Don. Not only did I love the spot but I also liked reading about how the place got its name: sailing ships rounding Cape Ann would “haul about” off this point of land.

HalibutPoint_DeepAndDark

34 Comments on “Deep and dark”

1. charles says:

Vraiment réussi Shari. J’adore tes roches!

2. sefeniak says:

Beautifully done!

3. tmikeporter says:

I’ll be watching to see how you like Graham’s paints. I found that in some cases when applied thickly, they didn’t dry out like other paints. Perhaps the use of honey accounts for this experience.

Wow… that is pretty impressive!
    And even your photography is good! Have you been practicing that as well? : )

• Thanks Ross. I took this photo earlier in the day when it was brighter out. And between sketches I took some photo lessons. But I don’t think today’s photo was very good. Back to photo school tomorrow.

5. I love this painting. You really captured the water and reflections beautifully. MGraham watercolors stay creamy too. I have both Mgraham and D Smith watercolors. MGraham says it stays creamy because of the honey used in the watercolor.

6. Kathleen says:

Hats off to you, Shari! Your paintings are always lovely but I think these last two put you at par with Winslow Homer! Your blog is one of the highlights of my day!

7. stitchesandstrands says:

Hats off to you, Shari! Your paintings are always lovely but I think these put you at par with Winslow Homer!

8. sue says:

I love this watercolor! My favorite part is the rocks and water beneath….great job (as always!)

9. Linda Daily says:

Stunning,the rocks are amazing! I like MGraham paints but beware of cerulean blue in your travel palette. Last summer at your workshop it ran all over my palette and found its way on my shirt. The color is beautiful though! Just a warning.

• Yes, I can see how the honey makes it very runny. But the paint stayed put in my palette today. Of course it wasn’t as hot as in Portland last year so maybe that is why.

10. Nathalie says:

Spectaculaire Shari. A truly beautiful sketch. Thanks for sharing it.

11. Just saw you featured in the new site by Urban Sketcher creator Gabi Campanario.

12. The water looks so real!

13. refarch says:

This is really great, Love the rocks and I am amazed by the water (reflections). What is the size and type of paper you used?

14. Jane Hannah says:

Hi shari,

I love this painting — the composition, the colours, the details… Just lovely 😉

15. cigara says:

J’adore, j’adore, j’adore, les reflets, la lumière (et donc les ombres) et la profondeur.
    Bravo et merci de partager même si je préfèrerais autant en Français 😉

16. Isa says:

Oui ces rochers sont vraiment bien traités, bravo ! j’aime beaucoup ce que vous faites 🙂

17. jvishal says:

excellent painting, it’s so nice !!!

18. helmut langeder says: