A bit of roof

Last time I sketched the roof of St. Joachim presbytery it was a really windy day but this morning was calm, cold and cloudless. A little too cold to sit outside (in fact I heard the dreaded “frost” word on the radio) so I sketched in my car, trying out a new sketchbook from Arches. It’s a beautiful, spiral bound format, filled with cold pressed 140 lb paper. A little rougher than I’m used to but also a little more sturdy.

Tonight I did some set-up for the outdoor LAA show that takes place this weekend. My canopy is tied securely in place and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the winds that were blowing in off the lake this evening don’t send it flying into the water. Tomorrow morning I’ll hang the work (about 30 paintings in all) and hope that the rain that’s in the forecast will decide to head in another direction. More news tomorrow…

ABitofRoof

18 Comments on “A bit of roof”

1. CindysArt says:

Very nice! I have a couple of sketchbooks unised, its hard to find the perfect painting for my book 🙂

2. Mary says:

You have really captured this bright, fresh clear day reflected in the quaint old architecture
    of St. Joachim’s presbytery, Shari. I really love your spectacularly fresh greys juxtaposed
    with the pale blue sky and patch of green. I wish we could borrow today’s weather for tomorrow and hope any rain will be diverted across the lake. Look forward to seeing you and your show tomorrow and all the best !

3. Linda Daily says:

Shari,just lovely! Again your greys are rich and interesting.
    I wish you the best with your show tomorrow and hope that the weather is kind!

4. sefeniak says:

Wonderful sketch! Good luck, wish I lived closer to enjoy the show.

5. Mary says:

It was wonderful seeing you today surrounded by all your beautiful work and enthusiastic fans
    Shari. You were in a prime location beside the lake and even though it wasn’t as perfect
    as yesterday the weather did cooperate without rain in spite of a little wind. All the best for another fulfilling day tomorrow! Thank you for being such a special person 🙂

There is a great feeling of sunlight shining across this roofscape… nicely done!

7. John Bartoldus says:

If I could do anything it would be to jump on a plane and come see your art show, it would be worth the 8 hour trip. I know it was successful, something you totally deserve. Regards to you my friend, John Bartoldus

8. Alison says:

You are a master at capturing the character of the architecture — this is one complicated roof line, but I completely get a sense of it and the volume of the various elements. Ditto to earlier comments on the greys etc… Lovely!

9. nikute101 says:

Stunning sketch~ I love the greys and purples