Yellow sky

In yesterday’s sketch I neglected to mention what time of day I had been out and that had some people wondering if I had sketched at dusk when in fact it was early morning. Today I was hoping for the same spectacular early light but instead the sky was grey with just a sliver of yellow sky on the horizon.

TwoBits2

14 Comments on “Yellow sky”

1. Marian says:

Hi Shari,
    I’ve been following your blog for a while and am so stunned by your drawing skills and your use of pure and clear color in your washes. If you have the time, could you tell me what type of pen you do the drawing with? I assume you add the color on top of the pen. The lines are delicate and provide just the right amount of definition without overpowering the washes. Also, what surface are you working on? Wish I was close enough to take one of your workshops.
    Thanks so much,
    Marian

• Hi Marian,
      I use a very fine Micron 005 pen. I have looked but can’t find anything finer than this. I use different papers but lately have been working with both a hand book watercolour and sketch journal made by Global art materials. I like them both.
      So glad you enjoy the blog.
      Thanks for letting me know!

2. Fleet Woodley says:

I loved the one yesterday with the power lines. It was almost like 2 pictures in one. If you look at the image right off, you find you are looking at the buildings and structures. Then you move to the yellow sky and when you do, you find that your focus has drifted to power lines and it’s like whole separate composition overlaid on the composition that you were looking at originally.

This one, like the one from the other day, dies a great job of selling the viewer on the depth of space among the trees. The variation in the values on the the trunks is so subtle, but so naturalistic.

~Fleetwood

• It’s funny Fleet. When I chose to draw “Yellow Light” it was the power lines that attracted me first, not the scene behind. Then I noticed how amazing the church looked too. So I guess I described the scene accurately with my pen and brush.

3. Joanna says:

This is lovely, I would love to see your whole sketchbook, must be so prettyxx

Breaks all the so-called rules and is sublime.

• What rules did I break Lee? Tree in the middle of the composition? Dark shape at the top? Horizontal line across the middle of the sheet? Any others? I want to try to break the rules again but I need to know what they are!

It took me a while to decide what was appealing about this but in the end I decided that it has a collage-like appeal… almost like those simple shapes are cut outs. To me it looks very “graphic” with the simple overlapping flat shapes and flat values (in comparison with your usual work)… a nice bit of experimenting. BTW, the other rule you broke was not making the horizon line up properly… the first thing I noticed. : )

6. dezabaleta says:

A superb watercolor …

Mark de Zabaleta

7. Thinner washes and stronger lines than usual, though the coloring is still very rich and definitive, yet wonderfully subtle.