Crosswalk

On Thursday mornings I have one hour to paint before I go to class so most of this was done during that time. I tried to capture the street scene with the most simple of shapes, adding a few finishing touches like the power lines during my lunch hour. The sky was pretty dramatic at that hour so I started with a pale raw sienna wash and then added my cloud colours into the wet. For the darker clouds I used a classic Ron Ranson mix of Alizarin and Payne’s Grey and then added some ultramarine, dabbing with my cloth to reclaim some of the whites. If you like painting skies I would highly recommend Ranson’s book “Ron Ranson On Skies“. I found it at a used bookshop but it seems that it’s still available at Amazon.

Crosswalk

19 Comments on “Crosswalk”

1. Tracey says:

I really enjoy your blog! I ordered a couple of the Ron Ranson books tonight, thanks for the suggestion!

• Thanks so much Tracey. I seemed to have missed your comment. Hope you like the books.

• Tracey says:

No worries! I should have let you know sooner but it’s been a crazy year of travel, family cares and painting big ones for a show.
        I’ve been enjoying it for a few months, all through Europe so you travelled along with me:) A friend sent me Marc’s blog this summer and I found you through that.
        All the best
        Tracey

2. “Shari On Skies” or ” Shari On Watercolour” would get me to the bookstore pretty quick.

3. Great work on the power lines; not only do they add directional flow, but the fact that you gave them varied width and brush stroke treatment gives them a character that works with the rest of the scene and ties it all together nicely.

4. Wayne Bissky says:

Mes superlatifs d’anglais ont tous été épuisés sur votre travail. Je dois maintenant chang dans une autre langue ….c’est magnifique!

• Merci mon ami! Je prends les commentaires dans plusieurs langues. Je ne peut pas toujours répondre mais ces jours-ci avec Google je peut comprendre tout. Muchas gracias! Mille grazie!

5. Alison says:

Beautifully captured scene. Thank you for the great tips. I keep forgetting that one can dab a watercolour!

Lovely, Shari. We have been away, so I have not had a chance until now to catch up. I try hard to “re-paint” your paintings and studies in my mind, asking myself what came first, then second and so forth. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Lyn Seley says:

I love the negatively painted tree shapes in the back, so simple yet so effective. I am slapping myself on the head saying why don’t I think to do things like that! 🙂