A different triad

A little shakeup took place on my palette today. I don’t know if all sketchers have the same problem but I certainly have a tendency to dip into the same wells of colour to make my mixes. Usually that includes some form of cool blue, like cobalt or ultramarine, as well as some cool yellow like Hansa or Aureolin. Today I put my usual palette aside and squeezed out some new colours for this autumn woods sketch (which I will hopefully turn into a bigger painting.) I replaced the cool blues with a warm Phthalo Blue, exchanged my greenish-yellow for New Gamboge which is much more orange, and used Carmine to complete the triad. It was liberating. And if I do turn this into a larger work I will certainly stick with this trio.

WalkintheWoods

12 Comments on “A different triad”

That’s your idea of a “shakeup”? You replaced blue, yellow and red paint with… what was it… blue, yellow and red? Really? : )
    Nice sketch, by the way… that was such a nothing subject but you gave it some life.

2. Helen says:

I love birchtrees!
    Oregon or Canadian – they fit anywhere! Another ovely painting Shari

3. Linda Daily says:

I always enjoy when you share your palette. I will have to try this one.
    You had lovely results!

4. Mary says:

Love the delicate transparencies in this triad Shari 🙂

5. Alison says:

What a wonderful composition Shari. I really like the abstract qualities. It’s incredible to me how you get those deep, rich darks. There is no Van Dyke Brown in YOUR palette! 🙂 I look forward to the larger painting!

6. Angie Macleod says:

Can’t wait to see the bigger painting! I have been working on triads lately too