Big ol’ tree

Sketching wouldn’t fun if there wasn’t some sort of disaster every day. Today I forgot my paints at home so I did the line drawing in the car (combo of Micron pen and Sharpie) and ran back home before school to add in the colour. I used a limited palette of Phthalo blue, Alizarin and Gamboge to get those late fall muted colours.

BigOlTree

17 Comments on “Big ol’ tree”

I think you are the master of shadows. This is an entire course in watercolor and shadows.

Great linework… and even a good car!

• Well that’s it. I can stop my blog right now, today. I finally drew a good car. I will prepare my goodbye message to all my followers. There’s nothing to work towards any more. What a relief : )

• Ross says:

Don’t do anything rash based on this one sketch. It makes a big difference when you only draw half of one wheel.

3. I’ve had those days where I’ve left the right pen for the right sketch at home. Such is the life of an artist and urban sketcher. BTW, agree with Lee on your mastery of shadows, and I’m going to add in contrast in linework as well. Nicely done!

4. I admire you for the quality of your watercolors!

5. Connie Renaud says:

Hi Shari, I have done more sketching in the past few weeks than ever before. You are an inspiration – love your sketches. Connie Renaud

6. tanyaswann says:

I love your work and stop by your blog most days to be inspired. Your colour, line and composition are truly amazing. Thank you for being so generous and sharing your work with the world.

7. Helen says:

AWESOME Shari – I love your sense of light and shadow. And I am from the beautiful Pacific Northwest USA – I love big ole trees!!

8. Ruth Altheim says:

This is very beautiful with those muted colors! When I paint later after drawing on site
    in ink, I find it challenging to remember where the shadows were and their colors. I do take a picture with a smartphone. Do you have any tips that you could share or is it just experience that tells you where the shadows fall for a interesting work?

• Hi Ruth,
      I do exactly the same thing as you. I always take a smartphone photo when I start just in case a truck parks in front of me, or I forget my paints! That is the best tip I can give. Don’t leave home without the camera just in case!!