Three in one

These old oil containers are a bit like vintage signs and they reminded me of something a teacher once told me: when painting signage on a building, it’s better to paint only parts of the letters and let the viewer fill in the rest.

ThreeinOne

19 Comments on “Three in one”

1. Mary says:

Your originality never ceases to amaze me, Shari…only you could turn these rusty, old
    containers into a lively, fun work of art 🙂

2. Jane says:

I totally love this Shari — i can slmost smell the fumes coming out — very nice ! And the typo — love it!

3. Paula says:

Pleasure to follow your drawings, Shari

4. Sue says:

Excellent job!

Nice placement of the three containers… and your handling of the text was so good… great brush control. I am sure that you could have been a sign writer… except, if you were a sign writer you would probably be out of work now because, sadly, I think that profession has almost ceased to exist.

• Yes, I would have loved to be a sign writer Ross! Sadly an extinct profession like so many others in my field. Typographers, photo retouchers, even illustrators and photographers are becoming extinct for various reasons.

6. Love this painting and all of the detail captured in in. Everything is here; there rust on the top of the cans, the red tips on the top of the pour spouts, the ol’ skool industrial typography on the cans, and that bottle of Elmer’s is perfect icing to the cake. I think we all had these three cans in our family’s garages and sheds growing up, the cans that pretty much screamed “poison control”, “fire hazard”, and “fatal if swallowed”, yet somehow, we all managed to play and experiment with them, and not blow the garage up in the process. The drippy treatment and color of the background is perfect; even though it’s all watercolor, the whole thing looks like it can go up in flames in a moment’s notice – this is what good art and good technique looks and feels like!

• Wow, thanks Jason. I took these out of an old enamel cabinet that used to belong to my grandmother. She used in her home beauty salon and it used to be filled with rollers and bobby pins and combs. Endless excitement for a child! Then it was passed on to my father who used it for cans of nails and screws. Now I have it and I’m sure some of my father’s things are still in there including the ol’ skool cans.

I sense a graphic designer somewhere back in your past. Your type indication gives you away. Or do you look at lettering such as this as abstract shapes, negatives and positives, etc. I would believe it if you told me that is what you do.

8. Heidi says:

I really like this painting. Actually one of my project in University this semester was to be done in watercolour and I immediately though about you ! I miss all your great creativity and teaching skills 😦 you sure do have talent with typography!

9. rob carey says:

Beautiful work- and zoomed in close is even better. The splotchiness enhances the “straight from the garage” feel. Super!