Red rocks at low tide

When I was in Kamouraska giving a workshop last summer I sketched this beach, and even did a demo painting of it but never got around to completing it. Yesterday I did the planning stages for this and today the painting. This beach is quite spectacular at day’s end when the light hits the red rocks. In fact, Kamouraska is known for its sunsets and there were many times during that week when a few of us would sit there and watch as the sun set over the islands.

RedRocksSunset

23 Comments on “Red rocks at low tide”

A really good result… you work well under pressure. This is the new standard that I will be expecting every day… you know what to do now… little sketches first then a terrific final… no pressure in that! (for me anyway)

2. Beautiful Shari! The sky and the rocks are so dramatic. I love the colors!

3. Mary says:

Not only the beach but your painting is spectacular too, Shari, filled with light, clarity and the
    colours of both your preliminary sketches to their best advantage 🙂 I love your sky and you
    definitely have reached it with this work of art 🙂

4. Absolutely marvelous. Thanks for putting a big smile on my face and joy in my heart every day with your sketches.

5. John Bartoldus says:

Crazy, crazy good. I love the rocks in the foreground fighting for the attention of the architecture. I am so glad you are finally getting good…tee hee, mon ami. Jacques

6. Dee says:

Breath taking!

7. Angela Macleod says:

Oh, that is brilliant, I have my version too! What a spot that was to paint! Thanks for sharing.

8. Nathalie says:

Great memories brought back with this stunning painting. Merci Shari.

9. dezabaleta says:

A watercolor really good …

10. Hetterbell says:

That’s amazing! I love the quality of light.

11. cathy mcauliffe says:

Wow, those rocks look so sharp, almost dangerous! Really great. I see in a comment you mentioned Pacific Coast, California perhaps?