On the road

It’s a good visual challenge to sketch when you are on the road. Not while you’re driving of course, but if you have the luxury of being a passenger and there is a constantly changing vista out the window, try to sketch what’s in front of you. The view will change with every bend in the road but if you quickly plot in the big shapes in the beginning, then one group of trees will look like the next and you’ll be able to fill in the missing bits quite easily. Sketched in the Adirondacks on a 3″ x 5″ Moleskine sketchbook.

OntheRoadAdirondacks

19 Comments on “On the road”

1. Mary says:

That sure sounds like a difficult challenge to paint an ever changing landscape Shari,
    but where is the road ? 🙂

2. ISpontein says:

Considering you were on the road in a moving car, it’s unexpectedly good. 🙂

3. Excellent watercolor…

4. Yvonne says:

I do this! I call it drive-by drawing. So much fun.

5. liz bundle says:

Ah! Sweeeeet! And all such super greens! Really like this, rather old world in a way…I’ve just been looking at watercolour sketchbooks from 1800s and it’s the same classic style. I hasten to add, one I REELLY like! Tho the magic of those was that they’re ability was wobbly. Your strong foreground trees make it. You got an awful lot of detail into 3×5 ins.

6. amdovsen says:

Reblogged this on Amy Dove Larsen – Artist and commented:
    This is my favorite artist. She does amazing beautiful work!

7. Impressive! And I appreciate hearing your basic approach to road painting– I haven’t tried it– yet!

When I read “on the road” and your first sentence, I was really impressed… painting while driving…wow! Then I read the remainder of your post… I’m still impressed… just not as much. : )

9. Rhonda says:

AWESOME idea~!!! I have been sketching daily for almost a month now (since I discovered your blog)…even took all my gear to Cuba last week and painted at the resort. My husband said he didn’t care……as long as I was happy 🙂 Now I have a handmade travel journal with little paintings to remember my trip~!! Glad to see you are using the 3.5 x 5.5 Moleskine as that is my favorite little journal for my daily sketches. Happy painting~!

• I’m so glad to hear that you have been sketching every day Rhonda. Do you find that your drawings have improved?

• Rhonda says:

ABSOLUTELY…I started to see a difference after the first two weeks. I certainly am way more confident to put pencil to paper now and don’t feel so frustrated with the outcome. Certainly, I have a lot to learn, but it’s more fun than frustrating now~! However, I am still struggling with “foreshortening” an object that is jutting out towards me. I have decided to take a photo of something with this angle, print it out and then trace the angles repeatedly until I “get it”. HAPPY PAINTING~!!!