Buoys ‘n traps

What is the first area you work on when you start a sketch? This is something I’ve been thinking about as I plan my West Coast summer workshops. The answer is not always clear, but for this sketch it was obvious. The centre of interest is the area where I most often begin because it’s where you find the greatest contrasts, the brightest colours and the most detail. The light was quite good on the buoys when I started my sketch so that was the place to begin. And the time I spent sketching there was relatively uneventful except for the five minutes when a police cruiser came speeding towards me — lights flashing — and slammed on his brakes in front of me. Fortunately it was the owner of an illegally parked car he was looking for, not me!

BuoysNTraps

16 Comments on “Buoys ‘n traps”

1. Tracey says:

Hi Shari,
    Darn, I am not able to see the painting so perhaps it didn’t attach?
    All the best
    Tracey

2. Tracey says:

Scratch that, sorry the whole post just opened.

Tracey

• You were right Tracey. That’s the problem with posting from a phone. I inadvertently hit the “Publish” button without finishing the last sentence or attaching the image.

3. Mary says:

What a fun centre of interest with those colourful buoys, Shari 🙂 It’s a happy painting!

4. Miz Dee says:

One of your best! Thanks for your daily art lift! I look forward to it daily!

5. Janet Agulnik says:

No picture attached!

Sent from my iPad

6. Chris Rusk says:

Gorgeous.

7. kari says:

Great insight on where to start. So often a sprawling landscape or large area of detail can be overwhelming in that regard!

8. Monique says:

Looks like a VACATION to me..Love it!

9. lynn says:

I’m a new watercolor artist – I was awful at it in high school back in the Dark Ages – but have rediscovered that I have a little talent. I’m so glad I found your blog as it gives me a sense of direction as I better my work. This post tells me exactly what I was looking for – starting with the focal point and working outward is what gives work life, I think, and keeps the composition moving. You have a fan for life!

10. Mary Sanchez says: