Long Beach, Rockport

What makes a good subject for a sketch? For me it’s always a scene with a lot of contrast. This beach was perfect ā€” those dark rocks, the white surf, and lots of interest in between. If you look closely at the sketch (and I’m not sure if this will be visible from an iPhone photo) you’ll also see some great texture in the rocks. Created thanks to a great gust of wind that blew sand into the wet washes, onto my palette, and all over my brushes. I’m still cleaning it out of the damp paint.

LongBeach

9 Comments on “Long Beach, Rockport”

1. Jeff Gold says:

Shari, this is a stunning sketch. The composition is wonderful and your control of values makes us feel the light so well that we reach for our sunglasses. Really beautiful.

2. Valerie Cousins says:

I can feel the sunlight and the surf. Lovely!

3. Dean Mollon says:

“True Grit” makes a memorable painting! Was the ocean water warm enough and worth going in to get off all that gusty dust? LUV the painting.
    Cheers from the sidelines
    Dean Mollon

• A little girl who stopped to watch me draw told me that the ocean was freezing. In any case I didn’t have a bathing suit with me. I was only prepared for one activity when I left the house.

4. Tim Mancusi says:

Shari, I have looked at all your daily paintings for months not to mention all your archives and it occurred to me that the photographs of your pieces are impeccable. Do you place a piece of
    non-reflective glass over your sketchbook to take these photos? I have tried to take pictures of my drawings/sketches with my Pentax digital camera and they never look as Coffee Table Book ready as your iPhone photos. Is there a specific technique or trick to why they look so good?

5. KnitNell says:

A delightful sketch – I can feel myself on that beach.

6. Maria Stoller says:

Love this view! Long Beach is one of my favorites. Wonderful how you’ve captured the rocks against the surf. And you’ve got to love that sand!