Same view, different book

With a new sketchbook in hand, a break from classes at the same time as yesterday and similar light conditions, I decided to repeat my sketch from the cemetery. In my quest for the perfect watercolour sketchbook paper (I know I could bind my own but I never seem to find the time!), I tried out  the Fabriano watercolour book, black hardcover, horizontal format, size approx. 8″ x 11″. I can’t seem to find a photo of it online and the Fabriano website is under construction, so there are no links with photos. My quick tests results: it’s worth painting on again. It’s not as nice as a single sheet of Fabriano paper (that may be because it’s not 100% cotton) — in fact it may be more like student grade paper than artist quality — but it takes the washes nicely, is not overly absorbent nor too textured, and it can take multiple layers of paint. Conclusion: it gets a spot in my travel bag.

CemeteryLight2

15 Comments on “Same view, different book”

1. Linda Daily says:

Beautiful Shari. You have the ability to make almost any paper work. It’s true that we are always looking for the perfect paper in the perfect size journal. I saw a Fabriano WC journal at a local shop. It had a little window cut out of the front….is this the one?

2. Paula Seixas says:

Love it!

I like this one better than yesterday’s, but I would have expected that drawing the same thing on a second day would produce better results… so I can’t tell if the improvement is paper or artist.
    I think you need to spend more time in the cemetery… you did some really nice paintings in the cemetery a long time ago… the paintings had a lot more headstones and some great shadows.

• I remember those cemetery sketches. Those were done in early spring when I could see more from my school campus. I like painting there and I have more school breaks this term so I probably will end up there more often, as long as it’s not too cold out. I can’t park my car in there to sketch. Yesterday I was sitting right on the road, as you can see from the perspective and I was almost run over by a hearse and the procession of cars that followed it!

4. Magnificent view !

Regards

5. george smith says:

Oh, so nice. Oh, so skillful. Oh, so beautifully organized. Oh, so Shari. You educate your fans in subtle but powerful ways.

6. chriskopet says:

lovely washes and vantage point- love it

7. Connie says:

Shari, may I ask a question? When painting your beautiful florals such as “April Bouquet,” do you do the ink sketch first, or do you add the ink detail after the watercolor? I just discovered your work on Pinterest, and I really love your style!

• Hi Connie,

Of course you can ask a question! I always draw the ink line first. If not, then it seems as if I am outlining the colour. I much prefer a bit of an offset between line and wash.
      Glad you found me!