Around and around

Still practicing my people drawing skills (it seems to be a lifelong struggle) and trying to figure out which way works best for me. I think I’ve pretty much figured out that a loose contour drawing for people in motion (like students at school) has the highest success rate (that means for every two that I post I have drawn six or seven). If I get into shading it never works unless they are sitting very still but I think I could probably add a light wash to this without getting into too much trouble.

GuyinCap

Jenna

14 Comments on “Around and around”

1. TR Duncan says:

elegant line work… thank you for the inspiration

I saw these and thought “wow, she is getting better at people”. Then I read the words and thought that 2 out of 6/7 isn’t that great… maybe it is just dumb luck. Anyway, however you do it, the two that you posted were pretty good in my opinion… great linework… keep up the good work/luck.

3. kipps74 says:

I like these drawings very much Shari……….I hope you don’t mind but I try to copy these in my own sketchbook………wonderful studies.

4. Jane Hannah says:

Hi Shari — your proportions are fantastic so that is incredible in itself… my people have short legs, or very long arms, etc. etc. Good work -)

5. MizDee says:

I’m impressed! The leg positions on the guy are perfect!

6. Laura says:

I’ve been drawing animals at the zoo for years and 2 good sketches out of 6 or 7 seems like success – I wonder if it ever gets better? – with all of the moving around and never holding a pose for long. Your people look great to me.

• Thanks Laura. I don’t think it does get any better, I think it will be a constant struggle but I am happy to practice. Of course now I will have to take a look at your zoo drawings. Thanks for writing!

7. 2 out of 6 or 7 that look right just on their own, and not in a composition is fantastic in my opinion. Drop all 7 into a composition and I bet they’ll work. People in context is so much more ‘forgiving’ that isolated people.