Hot peppers for a rainy day

Every autumn I make a little trip to Chez Michel at the market for a strand of hot peppers. There’s no other way to paint these than with pure colour — in this case Perylene Maroon, Carmine, Cobalt Blue, Azo Yellow and Azo Green. The highlights on the peppers are quite sharp so I painted around them, but in a few places I went back and lifted highlights with a small, damp brush. The Stillman & Birn Beta paper that I used is surprisingly great for lifting, probably because of its smoothness.

HotPeppersRainyDay

18 Comments on “Hot peppers for a rainy day”

Fab. U. lus(t). Wonderful. I think a print of this might sell nicely.

2. Martha Stewart and I are proud of you! Jacques

3. Jane Hannah says:

Beautiful Shari! They look scrumptious -)

4. CharlieAmra says:

Simply stunning. I love how you can make mundane objects look so incredibly interesting. Kudos!

5. Tony says:

Hi Shari. I don’t like peppers …but I love this painting, including the spatter. It stops it looking ‘perfect’ but makes it perfect if that makes sense. Tony

6. lilotte says:

Please, could you tell me where I could find Stillman and Birn paper in Montreal ? I’ll be there for a week end of october, to visit my daughter who is a student in Uqam.

7. Gracias por todo, alegras mis dia a dia cuando veo tu obra, es entusiasmadora para uno que recien se acerca a la acuarela.Despiertas en mi , mucha simpatia..

8. Love how spontaneous you made this! Terrific!

9. anne farmer says:

Love it!
    I’ve got photos from a Turkish market but waiting for my daughter to string the ones she’s grown. Don’t think my efforts will equal yours though.

10. Nathalie says:

Really hot! 😉

11. Andrea says:

This picture really stood out to me. I love the look of hot peppers just hanging in a kitchen for the beautiful colors it adds to the decor. This picture comes close to doing the same for me. Beautiful.