Under construction

In my neighbourhood there’s a house being built and in the empty part of the lot there’s a spectacular tree that’s at its autumn peak right now. So perfectly paintable, or so I thought, until I tried to paint it. All was fine until I added the shadow across the lower part of the tree and then everything turned to mud. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow.

UnderConstruction

15 Comments on “Under construction”

1. TR Duncan says:

The lifework in the bark of the tree is beautiful! thank you for the inspiration.

2. TR Duncan says:

line work… ops I guess I need to edit first next time.

3. Tim Mancusi says:

It’s funny. Perception is all about relativity.
    If you hadn’t mentioned that you thought you had “muddied” up the shadows
    under the tree I wouldn’t have thought that you did.
    A wonderful watercolor sketch to me.
    Hmm. I guess this just illustrates the various stratum of the viewer.

• Well, I am always my own worse critic Tim. I guess I could have just posted it without my opinion but this blog has always been about my daily sketches, good as well as bad, so I was just keeping up the tradition.

4. kari says:

I don’t think I would’ve considered the bottom muddied either, but for your mentioning it. This is a beautiful autumn scene.

5. andre savard says:

Never mind the mud, Until you mentined it I didn’t pay attention to it.
    The three trunk is perfect and the wole picture shines.
    Beautifull

6. Like Tim above, I would say the same thing, but only that I didn’t found it “mud”!
    I like it anyway
    ciao ciao
    renata

7. Joan says:

Mud? You haven’t seen mud until you’ve seen the mud I can make! I think this is a lovely sketch of a magnificent tree in all it’s glorious autumn colors.

8. laurjen55 says:

We are so self-critical. Hmmm

Cheers,

Laurie

9. Lynette says:

I don’t see any mud either Shari. I think it just looks like the ground. I really like it.