Take a step back

I’ve drawn this view many times but always sat a bit closer to the church. Today I was determined to get the yellow and orange trees in the picture so I took a few steps back to get the view I wanted, and that left me in the cold shade of another building. Mittens were on while I was sketching and the wind was too blustery to do any painting outside, so I drew from a spot on campus (not very accurately, I’ll admit, but the mittens are a hindrance) and painted this in my office on a break between classes.

AutumnCampus

13 Comments on “Take a step back”

1. Dear Shari, thank you for your sketches. I enjoy them all. I especially liked this one, as we do not have many scenes like this here in Hawaii.

2. Betty says:

This is beautiful….The trees add so much…love it.

3. Miz Dee says:

Curious about the buildings color. Mixed or tube color primarily?

4. I like the additional detail in this sketch

5. Splash; here come the fall colors!

6. sallock says:

Beautiful!

7. Tony says:

You’ve done it again Shari …. perfect. Makes me feel as if I was stood there with you. Know you must have liked this one as I spotted it on Urban Sketchers too! Tony

8. rosjenke says:

I just love all your paintings and look forward to each post- this one is a beauty.

9. Joan says:

I so look forward to your daily postings! This one is beautiful–I like the long range view. I don’t know how you’re able to sketch wearing mittens! I’d be all thumbs. (no pun intended) I have to admire your dedication, getting out in the wind and cold is not my idea of a pleasant way to spend time.