Window of opportunity

Yesterday it was so warm outside that my neighbour washed his car, kids were on bikes and except for the remaining really high snowbanks, there were patches of brown grass and even green shoots coming out of the ground. The streets were alive with activity. But then this morning we woke up to another snowstorm — the tail end of an even bigger system hitting the Maritimes. On the radio I heard a lot of griping about the never-ending winter. And it’s true, it has been long. But I chose to look at it as one last opportunity to paint snow. From my kitchen window I could see the clay pots under my oak tree. They had reappeared yesterday and disappeared again today. As I painted, the snow melted before my eyes so I’m glad I seized the moment.

SpringPots

14 Comments on “Window of opportunity”

1. Suzanne Tractenberg says:

Love your work and this one brings back memories of long winters in the Midwest and Northern East Coast ( US), …….and longing for the warmth of Spring. Fortunately I am now enjoying life in Southern California. I hope you have now seen the last of winter, and Spring and flowers are not far behind. Thank you for all of your wonderful postings. I have saved many to help guide me in my pursuit of sketching and WC. I am pretty much a beginner and your work and commentary are most helpful. Happy Spring! Suzanne in San Diego

• HI Suzanne. Thanks so much for taking the time to write. I wonder if you miss winter. I lived for a short time in California, mostly during autumn, and I really missed the change of seasons. I don’t think I would miss the extreme cold we had this year, but I would probably miss painting the snow. Good luck with your sketching.

2. sandidureice says:

The snow is beautifully rendered and I always love your shadows. But the tree trunk is something else; all that movement. The painting is lively. Thankyou again for such pleasures. Sandi

I love the view from your kitchen window, particularly the pots under this tree. Love this almost monochromatic approach this time with the intensely coloured pots. I’m sorry though that this is almost the end of the snow.

• I’m sorry it’s almost the end of snow painting too Ross. But not sorry that the deep cold will be ending.

• Ross says:

“Deep” cold… ???

• Yes, like the “deep freeze”. I guess you don’t get that too often in Australia.

• Ross says:

Let’s think for a minute…
        I am sitting in my unit… the doors are wide open… I can look out across the ocean where the full moon has risen (Easter of course) high into the sky and is creating silver reflections across the water… I can hear the waves crashing and the sea breeze is just enough to stop me from feeling too warm…

So, no, I am a long way from a “deep freeze”… except when I am getting ice for my drink. Oh… did I mention the cool drink?

Envious?

4. Carolyn says:

I think you are the only person who can make snow look great and inviting at this time of year!

5. Connie Renaud says:

I just love these windows of opportunity! You are such an inspiration. Thank you!

6. Miú says:

Delightful painting, Shari, and lovely shadows.