Nest

It’s not often that you get to see a nest like this at eye level so I took advantage and sketched it before it gets taken down. Of course the first thing I thought of when I saw it in my garden was Edvard Munch’s “The Scream.” It just needs a pair of hands on either side, doesn’t it?

If you really want to see some beautiful sketches of nests, eggs, birds and other nature drawings, have a look at Jean Mackay’s blog. Not only are the drawings incredible, but I love how she incorporates calligraphy onto the pages of her sketchbooks.

Sketched in a Stillman & Birn Beta series sketchbook. Size: 9″ x 12″

HornetNest

14 Comments on “Nest”

1. Joan says:

I love nests! Being an avid birder, I find all things related to birds fascinating. Best of all is the construction of these nests, all done without hands. Think about making anything without using your hands…near impossible, eh? Yet these creatures make a haven for their young that can withstand wind and rain. Amazing. Love your depiction of this one. I wish I knew what bird built it.

• Nests are amazing. I have been watching all the birds in my backyard this week as they pick up all the straw for their nests. They’re very industrious. But I think this is a wasp or a hornet next. It’s not from a bird.

• Joan says:

Oh, stay clear of this nest if it belongs to wasps. Unlike bees, wasps can sting multiple times inflicting severe pain. I found this out when I reached into a shrub to pull weeds, My hands hurt for weeks! Nasty critters.

2. Ineke van den Berg says:

I thought it was a wasp or bee’s nest! Whatever it is, it’s great.

3. You made the right decision to sketch it quickly if it’s a wasp or hornet nest 🙂

4. Andre Savard. says:

Shari, you have an excellent cense of observation. the tree buds are just starting to bloom.
    Good draw on the n’est.
    Excellent.

5. rebecca says:

I can fell the crackly dry layers of that kind of nest….scary kind of nest too….great representation.

6. Julia black says:

I love your work. Thanks for linking Jean Mackay’s blog, it’s great!

7. nenamatahari says: