Street fog

It’s that in between season when we alternate between rainy days and snow. I missed painting the first snowfall last week but there may be more coming tomorrow and I hope to be out there painting it. Today I used my Fluid paper to sketch the foggy street in my neighbourhood. I find this paper very forgiving. Every time I get to a place where I think a disaster is about to happen (usually that means adding too much water onto a damp area of the paper) somehow things work themselves out. I’m making my way through an 8″ square block and haven’t had too many disasters yet, so I may just buy another one. There’s also a great panoramic format which you can see here.

StreetFog

28 Comments on “Street fog”

1. this is FABULOUS Shari!! Love!!

2. Bruce Lowe says:

I love this….it looks like Western NC. How did you save the whites for the power lines?

• Thanks so much Bruce. I didn’t save those whites — I used a white gel pen for that. I don’t usually use masking fluid, especially for a small sketch like this but the gel pen works well.

3. Monique says:

This is fantastic.
    You made fog look great.
    It’s like Wuthering Heights here.

4. Monique says:

Hmm..I think I would like to try a block:)

Shari, if I were you I would be feeling pretty smug. This is beautiful and you caught the idea of fog beautifully. And of course, you ARE the Master of shadows!

• Lee, I’m just happy I made it out to sketch today. This has been an awful semester at school, with strikes and other disruptions. I can’t wait for it to end next week so I can get back to more frequent outings.

6. Frank Bettendorf says:

Is the secret of painting fog and objects in fog the careful use of values? Thanks for a good one!
    Frank B

• Hi Frank. I do think the secret of fog is in the values. I used to think that objects in fog had to be fuzzy but a friend corrected me. They should be distinct but the value layers are very important.

7. bmweeks says:

All I can say is WOW!

8. Francisco Garcia says:

yummy!

9. rosjenke says:

This is stunning. That atmosphere is so masterful. I am in awe.

10. joantav says:

Your granulating colors in the sky and the shadows give this so much atmosphere. Lovely!!!

11. slowlane says:

I have to add that this is beautiful and amazing.

12. Alberta says:

Amazing! You caught the foggy day perfectly. Yes, Wuthering Heights comes to mind!

13. Cheryl says:

Shari–lovely work. I am anxious to take your new Craftsy class. Any idea when it will be released?

14. oh I just love the atmosphere in this. I can feel being there with the mist and fog. As usual your work is so inspiring!