Blue Monday

Blue Monday. The third Monday in January. Supposedly the most depressing day of the year. I assumed the concept was concocted to give radio announcers something to talk about, but Wikipedia says it originates from a press release put out by a travel company back in 2005. None of this has any connection to my day though, except that it gave me an idea for colour in my sketch. Painted on a snowy Monday in Montreal, in a Fabriano watercolour sketchbook, mostly with Cobalt Teal, Verditer Blue and Indigo.

BlueMonday

30 Comments on “Blue Monday”

1. Alex Bodnar says:

Lovely piece Shari! May I ask you a simple question based on your extensive expertise? What do you find to be the fundamental difference (property-wise) between Verditer Blue and Cobalt Blue? I recently discovered a whole watercolor pan of a mysterious blue (not labeled of course). After conducting test swatches with various paint tubes I owned I narrowed it down to Verditer Blue and Cobalt Blue. To make matters worse I had three Cobalts (Holbein, W & N, and Daniel Smith)! To my untrained eye Verditer Blue and Cobalt Blue looked the same! What are your thoughts?

• Hi Alex. I had to do a little research to answer your question, and I still don’t have a clear response for you because it all depends on the brand of paint you have. My version of Verditer Blue is kind of sky blue but a little more mauve. My version of Cobalt blue is much cooler and deeper. They are not at all similar.
      When I have questions about colour I always consult Jane Blundell’s site. She has painted samples of most watercolours (including different brands of each colour) and she is so knowledgeable. I looked at the page where she has painted blue samples and I can see that there are so many versions of Cobalt blue, including some that look like my version of Verditer Blue. So I can see why you might be confused. Have a look at here site and see if that helps. I bet it will: http://www.janeblundellart.com/blue-watercolour-swatches.html

2. kns says:

Love the colour of Blue Monday, Shari

3. Susan says:

Ah, the wheelbarrow… and the tree… sans fence!
    Yummy!

4. This is so beautiful. Making winter wonderful…..thanks, Shari!

5. Dee says:

Any color is fine for my wheelbarrow….my favorite subject by you!

6. Shari, I love how you turn random little tit bits of information into something to inspire a sketch and keep it fresh!

• Hi Suhita, After all these sketches that I’ve done, I’ll grab someone else’s good idea any time. If someone says blue to me in the morning, I’ll paint blue in the afternoon.

7. andre savard. says:

The famous wheel barel!!!!!! no mather how many times you do it, weather its in blue or any collor its stil a nice and interesting subject.
    The sun will saine before the weekend.

8. Andy says:

Shari, thank you for keeping the online journal of your everyday’s art!
    I love it and wait every morning to see another post with a sketch. You really have an artist’s eye!

9. anne farmer says:

Lovely – and I do adore a wheelbarrow in a picture! And your trademark loopy cables…

10. Eric says:

Thank you for your inspiration!

11. TonyU says:

So now even the wheelbarrow’s depressed!

12. joantav says:

I love all the shades of blue that give this such life. Nice!!

13. Marion Hodge says:

I love the shades of blue – I use indigo a lot in my portrait work and in other paintings. On another note, you have inspired me to start doing sketches in my car. Did you ever drop a pencil shaving and watch it disappear into the gear shift thingy? Bringing a cloth to cover the centre console next time!

• I’m glad I inspired you to get out in the car Marion. You have no idea how much I’ve dropped into the hidden spaces in my car. I could probably open an art supply shop with all the pens and rubber erasers I have lost.
      I would never think of using Indigo in portraits. When I use it in mixes it makes all the colours dirty. What do you mix it with?

14. Debo Boddiford says:

I’m never blue when I see sketches of your wheelbarrow!