Disappearing panorama

It’s been a while since I sketched the view of Montreal from the 5th floor of the school where I work. I usually do this when I have a long break between classes, and that hasn’t happened in some time. But this semester I find myself with an excessively long break, and on brutally cold days like today when even painting in the car is not an option, this location is ideal. There’s a heater at my feet, a wide window sill for my paints and sketchpad, and often a group of students looking over my shoulder, chatting with me as I paint. It could be worse. On most days, the view is clearer, but there were snow squalls all day today so a soft apparition of the mountain appeared and disappeared as I painted. Magic.

DisappearingPanorama

11 Comments on “Disappearing panorama”

1. wrightottawa says:

indeed – this view is becoming a yearly ritual

love the soft colours

2. jbielak says:

Your trees are always so perfect! Great job!

3. Sue says:

Magical is the perfect way to describe your work. Thanks for sharing.

4. Monique says:

I love that you can literally make anything so very intersting and lovely..I couldn’t catch my breath in VD yesterday..so cccold..

5. Linda Murray says:

So simple, Shari, but you manage to make it a winner. The trees really make the picture complete.

6. joantav says:

What a perfect setup for painting! Perfect colors for a wintry scene!!

7. Andy says:

You need to remove that period at the end. Your sentence should read: “the mountain appeared and disappeared as I painted magic.” because everything you paint seems to be magical. 🙂

I like the lack of detail with this one. It has a nice sparse feel.