Porto sketches

The Urban Sketchers Symposium in Porto ended on Saturday and now I’m in Lisbon, relaxing for a few days and then finally heading home.

Before I write about Porto, I want to apologize to everyone who sent comments to me during my European travels. Since this was mostly a working holiday, I didn’t have much time to respond. Besides sketching all day and walking up countless stairs and hills, there were often evening social events, which left little time for writing!

I will soon write another post about my workshops at the symposium, but thought I’d share some of the sketches I did leading up to the event itself.

The first one is from the waterfront in Porto, looking towards the port houses in Gaia. I sat down on the ground to sketch this one, and what remains with me almost as much as this sight was the sound. I’ll never forget the a cappella group (beautiful young singers, all cloaked in black) standing nearby and singing to a crowd of spectators.

The rest of the sketches are from my workshop location — a labyrinth of alleys painted bright colours, bathed in light and shadow, and full of Portuguese neighbourhood life. My head is still spinning from this magical place and I want to write more about the symposium and the city, but it’s hard to do that without a keyboard. Lots more to come when I arrive home!!

14 Comments on “Porto sketches”

1. Judy Sopher says:

Thank you for all that you did post during these weeks. I do love scenes of alleyways (is that a word?) And always enjoy your lovely paintings. Looking forward to your return and seeing more work.

2. ksbeth says:

i love your paintings. they seem to portray all of the scenes in such a lovely light.

3. Yorky says:

I love your Porto sketches, especially the strong colours and bold strokes. A lovely way to capture the scene.

4. mayelalameda says:

Brilliant! Absolutely beautiful sketches Shari. I can’t wait to see more.

5. loisajay says:

Your capture of all the details is amazing. Such beautiful sketches, Shari.

6. Tylara says:

Incredible sense of local colour captured with your own unique colours. Very nice.

7. Birte says:

You capture the beautiful sights so well, love your style…..

8. Alison says:

I sense a lot of joy in every brushstroke. See you soon.

9. christine kopet says:

Wow! I love your response to Porto

10. Kirk says:

Beautiful! I love your use of color!

11. Frank Bettendorf says:

Looks good to me and I’m looking forward to seeing more. Would you please also talk about the challenges of doing alley ways and the enclosed space. Thanks. Frank B

12. John says:

Lovely sketches Shari and great to whet my appetite! I’ll be visiting Porto for the first time in October and seeing your sketches is making it all the more exciting a prospect!

13. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful travels Shari …

14. joantav says:

Love these. They really capture the feel of Porto’s narrow alleys and shadows. It was such a great place to sketch.