Red line beach people

It’s back to winter for me, but before I start painting snow scenes again, there are still a few Sanibel sketches to complete, and a whole pile of paintings and sketches to scan. Even though I probably posted almost everything I did when I was in Florida, everything was photographed from my phone, so the colour is not at all accurate. And since I like to keep a complete archive of paintings and sketches on my website, I have a few long days at the scanner ahead of me.

The last beach sketch that I did on Sanibel Island was on a very windy day. I sketched this group of three, looking out to sea, watching the wild waves and the diving pelicans. Maybe they were contemplating having to go back to a winter climate, like I was.

My technique for people drawing is a bit different these days. I’ve been using a rigger brush dipped in watercolour to draw with, instead of starting with pencil or black ink. I’m always more comfortable with a brush in my hand, and this technique seems to work particularly well for people sketching, since the brush line is gentle and the red pigment I’ve been using works well with flesh tones.

20 Comments on “Red line beach people”

1. I like the red line it completes the figures warmth.

2. Bernadette says:

Love it! Your latest is always the best it seems.

3. So vivid. I can feel the hot sun and sand.

4. Iona says:

Hi Shari,
    I particularly love the hot shadow colours under the beach chairs, it gives a real feel of the warm sunlight! I’ve been trying to pay more attention to shadow colours in my sketches. Your people are great.

Liked by 1 person

5. John says:

Wow.Can’t wait to try this on my upcoming cruise.

Liked by 1 person

6. Denise says:

Love the titles you come up with for your sketches! Since you mentioned it in this post, what kind of scanner, software do you use? I have trouble getting the colors right when trying to save my drawings. Thanks for the help.

Liked by 1 person

• Thanks Denise. I use an Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner. It’s an older model but it still works really well. Usually I just have to whiten the whites and add contrast in Photoshop, but the colours are quite accurate. I use the Epson Scan software that it came with. It’s pretty easy to use, but I use the manual settings, not the automatic ones.

7. Adina Schisler says:

Awesome good bye FL sketch! Personally I am selfish & look forward to snow sketches as I started a “snow pile” study & am in need of master’s samples 😀

• Hi Adina, There will certainly be some snow scenes coming up soon. Even some snow experiments, possibly today. Hope you are well!

• tylaraduncan says:

I agree Adina. Every winter scene I open from Shari takes my breath away. I know I have lived in ‘snow country’ all my life so that might be the reason but literally every snow picture that opens on my screen fills my heart with delight. The Master indeed!

8. Diane McDaniel says:

Beautiful ! I am wintered in as well and have enjoyed the beach and blue. Put on some funky beach music, turn the heat up and put your flip flops back on as you scan away the days !!

Liked by 1 person

9. Uma Maheswar Nakka says:

Good Evening dear friend Shari,

Very beautiful with a natural look.
    You made me relaxing too with this inspiring sketch.
    No more words with me.

Blessings
    Uma

Liked by 1 person

10. I’m glad you found my sketch relaxing Uma. Thanks so much.

Liked by 1 person