Belated

It’s time for a celebration. This is the two-year anniversary of the start of this blog. Well, actually the real day was yesterday but I mixed up the dates! Frankly, I think that as long as I am within the week I can still claim it.

There have been ups and downs —like today when I did a horrible sketch at the harbour on my way home from school — but most of the time I’m still happy that I’ve stuck to the plan. I’ve brought painting and drawing back into my life and met some fascinating people on the way. And every time someone asks if I am going to continue, I just say “I’ll do one tomorrow and we’ll see after that.”

TwoYears

82 Comments on “Belated”

1. Carmen says:

You are so very inspiring to me Shari. Since I took your two-day workshop, I make an effort to sketch something just about every day. Sometimes I even sketch one of yours, just to keep me going. So, please, keep going. I know that I look forward every day to see what you will sketch. 🙂

2. Valerie Cousins says:

Congratulations, Shari. A very inspiring endeavor!

3. Paula says:

Wait for your painting every day!

4. Julie Gomez says:

Shari, I enjoy “The Sketchbook” very much. Your work is lovely, and I so look forward to seeing your daily sketch in my inbox. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

5. Mary says:

Congratulations on your huge success Shari and this bouquet of flowers is just bursting with joy in both artistic form and content 🙂 You are an inspiration and joy to so many faithful followers!

6. Valerie says:

Whenever I see your post in my inbox I smile inwardly. You colors make my eyes happy. Very often your work ends up as my wallpaper. I’m trying to soak it in so I can emulate your style. Congratulations on your excellent efforts. Valerie

7. Linda Daily says:

Shari,congratulations on your second anniversary!
    I don’t know how you do it everyday but I am glad you do!
    Your bouquet looks full of happiness.

8. Michelle Par says:

Congrats Shari. Hope you do keep it up, I love it. xx Michelle

Le 2013-10-11 21:47, The Sketchbook a crit :

> >

9. Ann & William Phillips says:

Dear Shari,

Please keep going. My husband and I both wait for your sketch/painting each day and more often than not they bring a special little spark of beauty to our day.

Kind regards,

Ann.

Congratulations Shari! Such an achievement. It seems that your artistic skills have no relation to your numeric skills… but then, it really is so hard to work out when it is two years from when you started… perhaps next year, you could ask some helpful four-year-old to give you a hand to get the day right. : )
    Anyway, enough of saying nice and helpful things to you. I think it would have been really good to also re-post your first sketch from two years ago with today’s sketch… a great illustration of how far you have come with regular practice. All I can say is thank you and please keep it up.

• Thanks Ross! Ok, for next year I will try to find a child to help me this. Thanks for the good advice on that one : )
      I did look at that first sketch recently but it didn’t occur to me to repost it. It would have been a good idea to at least create a link to the first drawing. I will save that for next year. Or get the child to remind me.

• Ross, how could I forget to thank you? You have been the best and worst follower for most of the past two years. Often brutally honest when I mess up the drawings, definitely entertaining, but most often encouraging in the most articulate and thoughtful way. I’m sure I’m not the only one who looks forward to your comments.

• Ross says:

I’m honored… “best and worst” is hard to beat. Of all the dozen or so blogs that I regularly comment on, that is the best and worst compliment that I have ever received. : )

• I am glad I was able to cover all bases.
        So Ross, I am very curious. What are the other blogs you comment on? I am interested to see if you are as encouraging with other people as you are with me. Please share.

• Ross says:

I was joking about the other blogs… just wanted to see your reaction. You are the only blogger to gain the benefit of my assistance [you may need to redefine the word “assistance” to include “sarcasm, ridicule and harassment”].
        I have thought about subjecting some other poor unsuspecting blogger to this but, as you know, it tough and time-consuming to make the almost daily commitment to a cause like this. Also, I would like to add that I think that I was sooo clever in recognizing your potential ability and talent almost two years ago… even with some of those really ordinary early posts. : )

• Well that is disappointing…
        So now I am a “cause”??? As in “lost”? 🙂
        And by early posts are you still referring to the cucumber??

• Ross says:

Your are only lost if you think you are. “Cause” was probably the wrong word… change that to “quest”.
        As for the cucumber, that was certainly a low point when you resorted to drawing the leftovers from your dinner… but no, I was talking about your much earlier posts… like the street scene on Oct 15th. The first time that you ventured outside to paint didn’t show a lot of promise for things to come… except to someone as perceptive as me. : )

11. Nancy says:

Congratulations! The pleasure is all ours. It is inspiring to find your lovely work in my mailbox at the end of the day. Thank you.

12. gabbie20132013 says:

Reblogged this on Gabbie Blog.

13. gabbie20132013 says:

Congratulations Shari! ☺☺

14. Peggy Haug says:

Congratulations on your two year anniversary!!! I hope you know how very much we all look forward to your sketch of the day. And we never acknowledge what a HUGE commitment it is for you to do this daily. Not only that – you are good! Your work is fresh and watercolor in your hands is simply exquisite!! Here’s to another year!

15. Sue says:

Congradulations on your accomplishment and for being such a role model for the rest of us! Just think about all the lives of all the people you have touched by sharing your art work over the past 2 years! INCREDIBLE! Good Job! Well Done!!!!

16. Congratulations Shari! Beautiful painting.

17. monbaum says:

Congratulations and Happy anniversary, Shari! Every morning I check all my art blog subscriptions to get my daily dose of art and I am always looking forward to the next sketch of yours. All that pigment! 🙂
    Now that you have passed the 2 year mark, do you have any advice for people who want to take up the daily habit of a colour sketch? How much time goes into it each day?
    Looking forward to tomorrows pigmented loveliness,
    Mon
    :o)

• monbaum says:

… your second blog anniversary means I have been following your blog for one year!

• Thanks as always Monika! Advice: don’t overthink what you are going to draw. From experience, I have wasted lots of time doing that. Just get out a pen or pencil and draw what is in front of you. I spend anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour every day, depending on how busy my schedule is. But then I still have to scan the drawing and write the post which takes time too. And answer all the wonderful comments! The best advice is just to stick with 15 minutes of drawing every day. Malcolm Gladwell puts forth that theory about 10,000 hours of practice to be excellent at something, and it has been disputed by some, especially in the field of athletics, but I think that in drawing those hours certainly help.

18. Ethna says:

Your posts make my day…..every day. Thankyou, Shari!

19. Angie Macleod says:

Please don’t stop, I just your daily dose of inspiration! Carpe diem!

20. Angie Macleod says:

Just love your . . . Time for coffee! 😃🎨

21. Darlene Rember says:

Congratulations, wow that is quite a commitment. Loved today’s sketch. Needed some colour in my life. Thank you…D

Sent from my iPad 😉

22. Congratulations! I love when your drawings pop into my in box! You are an inspiration, a model and a challenge. I’ve been drawing each day too–and it is surprising how the tiny steps forward are finally evident. I look forward to another class with you and another year on the blog with you.

Thanks again
    xine

23. Debra Ganong says:

Hi Shari
    Congratulations on your two year anniversary. You bring pleasure every day to those of us who receive your drawings! Thank you so much!
    Deb and Jean

24. Carola says:

Congratulations Shari!, and thank you again and again for being a source of encouregement and inspiration to persevere on the roads or art and beauty.

25. Ruth Altheim says:

I’m in awe of your determination and commitment to do this everyday! Congratulations on your 2nd anniversary. The flowers are beautiful. How about a new brush? Like everyone else who has posted before me, I’m a loyal fan and admirer!. Yes, let’s see some of those first postings. Maybe you could share how you’ve seen your work evolve and your plans for what’s next. What am I doing….giving you ideas….you have your own…..give us those daily glimpses of who you are and what’s important to you. Love it!

• Ruth, it’s interesting to read your comments. I am not always sure if people find that I am getting boring and repetitive so sometimes I don’t always write as much as I could. I do have ideas and plans of where I’d like to go next so I will try to summarize that and post it in the next few months. And I will try to go back and have a look at some of my old stuff but of course you can go back to October 2011 and see them if you’d like. They are all there.

26. Judy says:

Your daily art is a gift in my inbox! You totally rock! Congrats I’m two years…

27. Betty says:

Just beautiful as usual. I look forward each day for your sketch. Keep up the good work. I love todays flowers.

28. Annice says:

Happy anniversary! Your blog is great and very encouraging. Thanks for all your work

29. Fleet Woodley says:

This is particularly gorgeous. It is all working so well and the copies are beautiful!

Congrats on 2 years. I think you have had lots of influence around the world in that time.

~Fleetwood

• Thank you, Fleet, for all the wonderful encouragement you have given me, both on the blog and on Flickr. Your comments always make me think, by pointing out things I may not have seen myself in the work. Please don’t stop.

30. jw mooney says:

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. Thank you for the gift your paintings and drawings are to me. Finding your blog mid winter, I realised I had no excuse not to dust my brushes off. You and your work an inspiration, your daily surprise is always a joy.

31. susan says:

Great sketch today! Congratulations on 2 yrs. of daily sketching, it’s inspirational.

32. jane says:

Wonderful Shari and congrats on your 2nd anniversary — boy! Does time fly…

33. I love your use of color!!!

34. charles says:

Felicitations et merci Shari pour ta persévérance et ta GRANDE générosité. C’est un plaisir que nous nous donne chaque jour!

35. karla salyer says:

Congrats Shari. Your blog is a big inspiration and your paintings and sketches are absolutely wonderful. Karla

36. Gina B. says:

Happy Anniversary to you, and to us, your lucky followers!

37. Janet says:

Congratulations! I started blogging one year ago in an attempt to rediscover the artist in me. Your blog has been a treasure of inspiration for me to continue and improve. Thanks for all the time and effort you give to your followers!

38. Michael S. says:

Shari: Just the sheer number of comments is testament to the impact you’ve had on the art community. Thank you and happy anniversary!

Not only have we, your followers, benefited from your tremendous talent, but I have seen your work go from good to great and am impressed with every new day you post. We are all so critical of our own work, so I understand the feeling of being disappointed in something that didn’t feel right. Thank you for not giving up and if tomorrow is the last day, then we will have benefited and are grateful for the two years we had.

Thanks again.

• Michael, I really appreciate these kind and generous comments.
      I used to be much harder on myself. I recently looked back in my sketchbooks and realized how many perfectly decent sketches I had not posted because I was overly critical. So these days I am trying to take it easy, miss the occasional day if things don’t work out, and not beat myself up about it. I also post things now that I might not have last year, just because that is part of making your art public. It’s about being honest that sometimes it just doesn’t go that well.